What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Favorite sarr cultivars

Titles say it all.

Out of the ones I have I would have to say s. x 'Scarlet Bell' and s. x 'Cobra's Nest' are my favorites.

'Scarlet Bell' is (or will be) the most beautiful sarr I own. And...

'Cobra's Nest' is just cool to look at. The way the pitchers curve and the deep red top also make it popular with my neighbors. ^_^' I can't find much information on it's parentage, though. Want to speculate with me? It obviously has purpurea in it and I think some rubra but that's all I can come up with...

S.x 'Ladies in Waiting' for me, except that mine died over winter  
smile_h_32.gif
 I sometimes find it tricky to keep tissue cultured plants.
S.x 'Dixie Lace' is also quite snazzy and for height, not many beat S.x 'Brook's Hybrid'.

I have some 'ladies in waiting'. The pictures I've seen are stunning, but mine are still young and producing thin, wiry pitchers.

o_O Maybe it needs more sun... my other sarrs are doing fine, though.

What exactly is S.x 'Brook's Hybrid'

My favorites include:

'Leah Wilkerson'
'Wilkerson's Red'
'Tarnok'
'Dana's Delight'

Leah Wilkerson is my love.

There are other Sarracenia? Oh, yeah! I remember now.

I too am fond of Cobra's Nest.

Used to love my Judith Hindle before it went belly up.

I don't have one yet but 'Leah Wilkerson' is the one!

And of course, the spectacular 'Schnell's Ghost"! I like Cobra's Nest as well.

Hey Brooks,

Why not try crossing Leah and Schnell: a royal wedding if ever there was one!

ooooohhh...good idea!

I think Brooks Hybrid is a form of S. x moorei, but I may be wrong.  I am looking for a start of this one too.  However, despite it's rep of being the tallest of the Sarracenia, I believe Her Majesty Leah stands above them all at some 50 inches (!!!!!!!!!) in the field where she holds court.

leah is the best moorei, but Brooks Garcia was over in England 2 weeks ago and visited me. He showed me some moorei from the same bog on the Jim Miller DVD and all I could do was drool.:)

My favourite cultivar is Adrian Slack's flava 'Burgundy'
S%20flava%20var%20rubricorpora,F26,%20CV%20'Burgundy'.jpg

One day I will own a S. 'Scarlet Belle'

My most favorite is Sarracenia x ' Cobra Nest ' because its so cool and easy to grow
biggrin.gif

It's hard to pick one, but my favorites (in no order) are:

'Adrian Slack'
'Leah Wilkerson'

Even though I don't own those two yet, the pics I've seen are absolutely stunning. And they were both naturally made too, which is pretty cool.

I also like the following that were created at UNC-Charlotte:

'Doodle Bug'
'Blackened Redfish'
'Dixie Lace'

I don't think blackened redfish is technically a cultivar, since it hasn't been officially registered.

I also have a plant I got from D. Crump in Charlotte, NC, called 'Bug Pipes'

It's another favorite. It's a naturally made minor x psittacina that is very striking. It also is technically not a cultivar, since it hasn't been registered (to my knowledge).

And last, but not least, is the 'Skywatcher' from the romanowski book. i've always liked the umlauftiana's.

Wow, that flava 'Burgandy' is incredible.

I gave up on keeping track of all the hybrids, but 'Judith Hindle' is my first Sarr hybrid love, and probably always will be. I saw it at California Carnivores when i was just getting back into CPs and was amazed at the purple/mauve (?) coloration.

I'm with sarracenia, "Leah Wilkerson" and "Adrian Slack" are exactly my two favorites as well.  Can't beat x moorei's.

Drives me nuts, too, because to the best of my knowledge, both are still privately owned and unreleased.  I'll sure be first in line when they're publicly available though.

Mike

I am glad you guys like 'Leah Wilkerson' and Wilkerson's Red, a yet unregistered cultivar. 'Leah' is in TC and I am patiently waiting for the results. She will go into production ASAP. SO, HOLD ON.

Tamlin,
I did make many crosses this spring using both 'Leah Wilkerson' and Wilkerson's Red but I am not sure if I crossed it with 'Schnell's Ghost.' I will look and let you know. I have crossed them on one another though. Both are natural moorei crosses.

I do love both LW and WR and Adrin Slack and and and! I am very fond of most moorei crosses. That is why I made many of them this spring.

i like the one in the march issue of the ICPS news letter, S.x 'Bugscoop'
the name and the pitchers look cool
biggrin.gif

I can say that 'Leah Wilkerson' is my favourite moorei clone. It has a fanastic colouration to the throat and lid. I can't wait for it to grow larger next year.

Back