What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Post your ceph potting mix

superimposedhope

Somewhat Unstable
Hey everyone,
I am getting a Ceph pretty soon (I hope)

What do you pot it in?

Go ahead
Post it, I dare you
smile_n_32.gif

Joe

Wheee. My ceph arrived in the mail today. It's sitting in my greenhouse and I'm hoping for the best... anyway. The website I got my ceph from has the mix they use one the page. Here it is: 50% dried sphagnum moss, 40% perlite, 5% peat moss and 5% wood charcoal.

I don't think the wood charcoal is a "must have" in there though...

Heh. I'm actually experimenting with cuttings right now. Plants are in 75% sand, 20% peat. 5% perlite - as a layer at the bottom. Cuttings are in live spag - the plants really love it but I think they'll need more solid medium as they grow roots.

You dare................
A plastic pot.

Equal parts of LFS, perlite, and peat moss.

40% milled sphagnum, 40% perlite, 10% peat, 10% sand. Water on the tray method, but let the water dry out of tray between waterings.

Joe

Hey Joe -

This is what I use - I think it's called the Charles Brewer Mix:

45% dried spagnum moss
45% medium perlite
8% peat/sand mixture
2% wood charcoal

I had heard that there is some sort of beneficial fungus in the soil that Cephs need. So, when I got my 1 leaf ceph a few years ago I scooped out a spoonful of the soil and used it to innoculate the new mix. I put both soils in a ziplock bag, shook it up and waited for a few days before repotting.

My Cephs are in terrariums under fluorescent lights. They are in 4 inch plastic pots and the soil line is maybe 5 to 6 inches from the lights (that are on for 17 hours a day right now).

Good Luck!!

WildBill

I use 80% perlite and 20% sphagnum peat moss, and I use a layer of sphagnum moss at the bottom to keep the soil together.

im currently using a clay pot for my pitcher plants. Should I switch to a plastic pot? Although they seem to be doing very well.

If they're doing well leave them alone. I think most people use plastic, but if its not broke don't fix it.

Joe

I use 100% LFS or LFS with some volcanic rock or perlite now, but used to mix in a small amount of coir (ground coconut husk). I've begun potting them like orchids, with packing peanuts at the bottom to help with aeration. And, like orchids, they seem happiest in a small pot.

Bruce-
Packing peanuts actually do more harm than good. They are hydrophobic so repel water. Making the potting mix less likely to drain properly. This is also compounded by having large air spaces at the bottom and a mix with finer air spaces above it. This causes a zone above the large spaces that holds water more.

They also reduce the depth of the root zone. Not generally a good plan as many cps are deep rooted, particularly Cephs with a fairly long underground stem.

Kenndog-
Clay pots are fine for a while but they have a tendency to accumulate salts within the clay because of the evaporation from the surface. Eventually it may get to the point where roots that hit the clay stop growing as if 'burned'. How long they plants will be happy depends on alot of factors such as water quality, flushing of the potting mix and pot, rate of evaporation off the pot etc.

Tony

Back