What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help!

you just need to keep the roots cool, and preferably the plant, too.

they live on the bank of streams that the flowing water keeps their roots cool, and they just fade away in heat.

yes, JLP is right, some method of cooling coudl be put icecubes on the soil, drip water intop of it constantly, ro anything else u can think of. only the roots neeed to be cool.
Best Wishes,
Hellz

Hey Fish,
That range of difficulty you find described on the interenet is not doubt due to the fact that people live in different climates and Darlingtonia really don't. If you live in a suitable climate, it will be a cinch. If you're, for example in the Phoenix, AZ or Juno, AK, you may have more trouble....

Its not extremely difficult to grow, but that is not that far from the truth.
You MUST keep the roots cool. However, they like sun, but sun heats up the roots. They also like cool nights(esspecially in summer)
You must also flush with cool-cold water(preferably refrigirated)
1-2 times a day in summer, and once a week in winter.
If you are having problems with keeping roots cool, use ice cubes or white containers(white containers reflect heat)
Dont use black colured containers, because black absorbs heat.
All the advice said above worked for me(the advice is from my experience, some of it is from books)
I hope this helps!
Dino
smile.gif

I keep mine under a pvc pipe that drains AC water. This is only an experiment and not an approved method - yet!

i just bought a darlington cobra lilly, but i live in Florida, and its summer so its hard to keep a plant like a darlington so... Im going to make a bog garden with a pond and the works, however, in the mean time im kiping it in a pot in the house and i put rain water that i have colected in the frige, then wen it comes time to feed it i will put it in the freezer about a half hour ahead of time to make shure its cold enough. now tell me if i am making any mistakes or give me some pointers

Back