What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sarracenia x moorei

I am just going ape over this plant, and was wondering if anyone has any photos they could post of this most beautiful natural hybrid.

Just got a young one....Thanks to my (for now) anonymous benefactor! It's not really picture worthy just yet, as it's first pitcher since the trip through the mail is just starting to mature....Should be open in a few days....If I remember (i.e. my daughter doesn't keep me busy), I'll snap a shot or two.

Thanks for the links, I have been living there lately, lol! I was hoping to see some new pinups to lust over. Also been to Mike Kings spectacular site (mad as a hatter, obviously). These plants have me sockless this season, every time I blink there is another spectacular clone smiling at me. I can see where you could really go over the edge, like Mike King has....I should quit now, while there is still hope!! I have been dividing up the backyard mentally.....the way I see it, I don't really have a lawn just weeds I mow, and you don't have to mow a bog, right?

It is such an incredible thing for me to see these plants all for the first time thanks to several benefactors who have graced me with cuttings, and I gotta say thanks again! I am really looking forward to the time when I can divide and share in turn and I can see where Sarracenia are definitely a Gentleman's plant, since there is so much delight in sharing them. They hybridize so easily that individual plants are like oil paintings created by artists selecting from a palate of color, and the variations are endless. This is a Kingly CP genus.

Now where is my shovel?

Actually, I have a series of wooden staging planned for the future that will hold those concrete mixing tubs which I use to grow in to fine effect. The black plastic heats up in the sun, and the plants appreciate the warmth.

These are going to be interconnected so I can flush them or drain them after rains. I have found minibogs not well constructed can come to problems after a few years, and this will allow for more control on my part I think. I like the look of a natural bog, but am not confident I could replicate it as needed.

Now if I could only figure out how to get rid of the blue beetle wasps all would be well. I thought the winter killed the nest, but they have found my plants again. I have stuffed many of the pitcher mouths with cotton, but the insects actually force they way beyond the cotton to get inside the pitcher. Fools! Muhahahaha!

Ok. Enough of my raphsodizing. I am going out to look at them again. See ya!

Hi William,
You are approaching th epoint of no return!
biggrin.gif

Ok, this is not the best photo.
S_moorei_leah_wilkerson_side.jpg

Maybe we can get sarracenia obsessed to post his moorei pics. Besides the fantastic Leah Wilkerson clone, Brooks must have the most extensive moorei collection I know of. And the color forms are so diverse, you won't believe them all to be moorei. Wonderful hybrid!! Schloaty just might share the white top moorei I sent him. It is from Avalon Beach, Santa Rosa County, Florida. Nice clone!

The photo I posted above is a division of S. Leah Wilkerson from the NASC auction.

Really, Nick?? When she settles in, she should look even better. Leah is a very distinctive looking moorei. Your Leah has some growing to do!!

Really, Nick?? When she settles in, she should look even better. Leah is a very distinctive looking moorei. Your Leah has some growing to do!!

Nick,
Glad to see 'Leah' is doing well!

I would post if I could but some is wrong with AOL (BIG SURPRISE HUH!) and my Easy Designer, this is the program I used to create my web page and posting page. If anyone has AOL, Easy Designer and has a clue what I need to do please e-mail me. I will keep trying and see if I cannot post the moorei pics you crave.

Tamlin,  
I am smitten with mooreis too and not just 'Leah Wilkerson' and 'Wilkerson's Red.' There is incredible variation in this hybrid. Some of the most incredible moories I have seen were on Jim Miller's DVD on a site sadly, that no longer exists. I weep and claw at the screen when I watch the DVD. My breeding program this spring concentrated on mooreis. Next year, it is my next favorite cross, Mitchelliana.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]It is from Avalon Beach, Santa Rosa County, Florida. Nice clone!

Man, I gotta write that down somewhere....Good info to keep handy when the rhysome divides....

I want to wait a couple of days to snap the first pic because there is a new pitcher growing out....want to let it open up.

Hey, thanks!

Yes Mike, I have all the danger signs of terminal infection.  You know it's bad when you start pondering which contractor to call....That's what I get for rubbing shoulders with the NASC crowd!

I appreciate the photos, and look forward to a good tutorial on this subject.

Out of curiosity, would the experts assess this plant (the first in the series) as a Moorei hybrid?

http://www.petflytrap.com/cgi-bin....t=12907

Brooks, you just go crazy man!  I know I am waiting for your new creations the way art dealers used to wait for Picasso to finish a canvass.

Has anyone ever made a moorei with a S.flava 'cupria?' This is a cross that I attempted this spring but, haven't seen a mature specimen.

imduff

Hi Tamlin,
That plant looks like Dean Cook's 'Blackberry Sundae' I have this plant and the colours look better in real life.

Brooks,
After you came here, I was so taken by the pictures from the Jim Miller DVD , I too am continuing the moorei breeding programme

Here you are guys:

5.jpg

No surprise that it originated from Mike, and it is his H24 plant. It's my tallest plant this year at 75cm

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Tamlin Dawnstar @ June 29 2004,10:20)]Out of curiosity, would the experts assess this plant (the first in the series) as a Moorei hybrid?

Tamlin,

I personally don't think it's a pure moorei. I think there is leuco and flava in it, but something else too. What, I'm not really sure yet. Perhaps some purpurea buried in the mix. Something that gives it a shorter column than a pure moorei would likely have.

I agree with Sarracenia that there is purpurea in there some where.

Imduff,

I did make several crosses this spring using flava cuprea. My cupreas are not that strongly colored so we will see what I get. It will be a few years though. I hate waiting!
smile_h_32.gif

What is the formal difference between x. moorei and x mooreana? They seem to be used interchangeably on some websites.

Back