What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Found a sarracenia at the grocery store!

I was in Seattle a week ago and was doing some early morning grocery shopping when I stumbled upon a gang of Sarracenia's in the florist department. I knew what plant it was before I even read the label, which was mismarked as a Cobra Lily. I was so tickled with finding a CP in a grocery store that I bought one. Also for some reason the mismarking was amusing to me as well. Its a beautiful plant, ruffled pitchers and heavy red veins. It rode in my lap on the plane all the way home, my seat mate giving me strange looks all the while.

Hopefully, the strange looks were because of the plant.
smile_m_32.gif
Someone else in a topic long ago and far away mentioned something about the same phenomenon. A picture wa even posted of the mistake. It's not like confusing a spatulata with capillaris or... A cobra lily is a cobra lily and not a Sarracenia.

Are you sure it's not labled "cobra's nest" as apposed to "cobra lilly?"

Cobra's nest is a recent cultivar (? hybrid? I think it's a cultivar) that was developed to be resistant to tap water and other household no-no's that people do.

I've seen these... Nurserymens exchange sends them out... Not cobra nests or cobra lilys, but Sarracenia x 'wrigleyana' (Might be scarlett bell)

HEy Dave,

Are you sure of that? I heard the parentage of Cobra Nest is unknown......sounds like an advertisement blurb to me! I would be wary with the tap water.......

I would be interested in knowing what the parents of Cobra's Nest were if anyone has the information.

Sorry for the off topic!

Greenis, sitting with the plant on your lap sounds like something I would do. You are in good company here!

Hey Tamlin,
Could very well be an advertizing gimick. No idea. Can't even rememeber where I read it...I just scoured google, and I can't find it. I did find it for sale, but they didn't have the tap water thing in the description. Dean cook may know a little more about it, as I saw a partial forum post on some un-identified forum (maybe the list serve?) where he mentioned the clone's creator...name escapes me...need more sleep...

I kept the tag and it says Cobra Lily, not Cobra Nest. Sorry about the super late respose, internet went down for a while.
smile.gif

Ben,
That's it! Wonder why I couldn't find it again? Hmmmmn

I recently picked up some plants at Meijers. They had a shocking amount of CP's in my opinion. They had 2 (technically 3 since one was double potted) nepenthes which I picked up, some butterworts, venus flytraps, Cobra lillies (which were called sarracennia) and finally a hybrid of saracennia which was called a cobra lilly. From what I could tell this hybrid had S. Purpurea and Leucophylla i could be wrong. however it was advertised as a cobra lilly I will try and get pics up later tonight

This here is the "cobra lilly" I picked up at meijers
sarracenia.jpg

I believe AgriStarts in FL is one of the largest suppliers of Sarracenais, selling over a million 'starts' a year to various growers. They have Tced them thus the congested crowns/growing points. That looks very similar to one I purchased recently at a festival from a woman that was from FL. It was a Catesbaei(sp. dang i am tired).

That's no cobra lily!

Cool. First time I ever saw Nepenthes was at a Fred Meyer about 6 years ago.

Looks like theres lotsa purpurea in it to me...

Is that your dog behind it?
smile_m_32.gif

/Quensel

Yes that would be my loveable mutt Auggie!

Oh, cute doggy!
smile.gif

That looks like Sarracenia x cataesbai.

Yes it is S.catesbaei. I have one which looks exactly alike. Think its a cross between leucophylla and purpurea, hence the mix of red and yellow colour on the flowers. That's where I found its identity, some sarr crosses are crazy...S. oreophilia x minor xpurpurea x rubra x leucophylla..........

I should think the grocery people would have thought that it looked like a cobra lily. Don't know much about cps do they...
smile_m_32.gif
Well if it 'looks' like a cobra lily then my guess would be a S.psittacina at that, this one looks similar to a cobra except fort he 'tongue'. How could they get it do wrong, catesbaei and darlingtonia look so different...
confused.gif
laugh.gif

The store is offering 2 different sarracenia for a very low price. The plants are marked "cobra lily". The plants are grown by a large wholesaler in Northern California. The 2 offered are Scarlett Belle and Judith Hindle. They're potted up and sitting in a tin bucket. They also have 3 or 4 different large nepenthes for the same cheap price. I did see at one location the scarlett belle planted in a glass vase but it was more than twice the price than the tin bucket version.

The judith hindle I bought is quite nice - pitchers are about 8 - 10" and great coloring.

Details not given in respect to PFT.

Back