What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

S. rubra

I bought an S. rubra at Lowe's a couple of years a couple of years ago, and I am wondering if there is any way to tell what subspecies it is.

Could you post a pic? I didn't know that Lowes brought in rubras. I thought a had a rubra from Home Depot. Turns out it was a leuco of some sort that was in sore need of dormancy and sunshine.

I got ths same plant from the same place.

I think it's S. Rubra ssp Rubra.

I got a rubra from a Lowe's or a Home Depot a few years ago that was a subsp. wherryi.

Pics!! We need pics!!!!!!!

I know that pics would help alot, but unfortunately, I don't have any; no digital camera.
smile_h_32.gif
I realized this after posted.... It is rather difficult to identify something without a pic! So, with this difficulty aside, does anyone know the characteristics of the different species so I could maybe at least narrow it down some? For starters, I know it is not a green form; it has lots of veination in full sun.
smile_n_32.gif

Do you have Savage Garden? Or you could check out BobZ.'s site of bazillions of pics to narrow it down. Does it have a "window" appearance on its pitcher? Does the hood overlap the pitcher tube?

OK here is a pic of my S. Rubra I also got from lowe's in December. Is this what your plant looks like? Warning I couldn't edit the pic down because photoshop is not on this computer. So if you have a slow connection beware.S. Rubra

what company did this rubra come from ?

MOst likely botannical Wonders.

That's what Lowes uses.

Ok, I'll try to answer everyone's questions:
smile.gif

yes, the label the plant came w/ did say botanical wonders.

Jimscott, yes, I do have savage garden, but I can't tell much from the pic on p. 80.
confused.gif
By "windows" do you mean somthing like the light windows S. minor has? If so, no, my plant has nothing like that, but the lid does overhang the tube.

I waded through the pics on BobZ's site, which is what I probably done in the first place(sorry...allergies rendered my brain helpless and stupefied the last couple of days.....
smile_l_32.gif
) and I think I might know what it is:
S. rubra ssp. jonesii (my second guess is ssp. rubra, but my plant seems to have the characteristic "bluge" of jonesii)

The pictures on BobZ's site in the ssp. jonesii category were the ones that looked most like my plant and there is one pic in particular that looks remarkably like mine(except my plant has several growing points):
http://www.humboldt.edu/~rrz7001/zphotos/S_rubraJonesii52_739.JPG

The shorter pitchers in the center are practically identical to the pitchers it put out last year in late summer/ fall. (it's still putting out the scraggly spring pitchers this year)

Besides the "bulge" are there any other differences between ssp. jonesii and ssp. rubra?

I am also wondering how a jonesii(if that's what it is) ended up at lowes. Isn't ssp. jonseii rare or really endangered or something? Weirder things have happend though, I suppose lol.
laugh.gif

Most likely, you have the same kind I had from Lowes. Theese are great ruba specimens by the way
smile_k_ani_32.gif
. They grow very large, fast. They also develop a nice coppery coloration if my memmory is correct. I'm hoping to visit the midwest again so I can get some more great botanical wonders plants for my collection!

Back