What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No digestive fluid

• Thread starter AzNsUShi41
  • Start date
help! theres no fluid in them and their browning heres wat they look like, TONY HELP!!

mad.gif

S.Purpurea01.jpg

S. purpurea is the only pitcher plant where you need to pour rainwater into the traps. The hoods are open to let rain in and prey drowns and bacteria breaks it down for the plant.

The pitchers also last for a few months before they die off. They will go brown gradually, when the pitcher looks completely dead you can snip it off.

Your plant looks like it's doing fine though. I can see a new pitcher about to open in the center.

As states in the other post, they collect rain water.
Did you just get the plant? Might be in a little shock to new conditions.

its not the only pitcher plant that collects rain water, there are several nepenthes that collect water,too.

Well all pitcher plants can collect water to some degree, but do some neps use rainwater to break down their prey?

but the fly's body makes him float ontop of the water tho, so how does it digest if its over the water, i fed my pitcher with a (struggling) fly, and he jus buzzes over the water and doesnt drown

Don't worry it will sink eventually

Sometimes if a pitcher is damaged, it will drain.

Alvin,

N. inermis
N. ampullaria
N. eymae upper pitchers
N. jacquelineae (to a degree)

Are easily filled with above water. My N. inermis is always topped off with water from the sprinklers yet digests prey very easily.

Purps need water in their pitchers before they can make digestive fluid. As for the floating thing, don't worry, the bug will sink eventually and be digested. The empty exoskeleton will remain, since the digestive fluid simply eats away at the bug's insides, not it's outer remains.

Back