What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Skinny new pitchers

Hi all!

I have a slightly vexing problem with my S. purpurea; The new pitchers are really skinny.
First I thought that they were that way when they open, and fatten up later, but alas, no...
smile_h_32.gif

The latest pitchers from the nursery were all over an inch in diameter, looking like classic purpurea pitchers, but the ones that are growing under my care are less than half the diameter.

Any tips would be very welcome!

Thanks /Quensel

You might just have to give them time to settle in to new surroundings. From nursery to your place could have been stressful to the plant, and it will work it through on its own. Otherwise, it could be fungus attack, but I doubt that. Give it time and patience. You will need lots of patience to raise CP sometimes.

It was probably given tap water in the garden centre, which could lead to smaller malformed pitchers. I would repot.

Yeah, I was kinda thinking of repotting too, any special mixes, or just lfs?

i'd give it more light if it doesn't have the proper color.

It sits outside, on my balcony, where it gets direct sun for about 7 h/day. It's very red, but the 'lids' are browning from the edges.
confused.gif

also, some of the pitchers are all brown and ikky on the inside, what's that about?
It's only below where the fluid level usually is, and it appeared after said pitchers got all dried out like a week ago...

/Quensel

The soil mix for sarracenia:
1:1 one part peat to one part perlite.
You can use other mixes too. But, lots of people use the one above.
I do too.

i use 2/1 sand/peat with almost all my plants.

Back