What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sarracenia purpura

Brunswick Beauty is hand written on a purple pitcher plant I just picked up, has anyone heard of this varrient before?  I can't find any information on it.

Where did you get it from?I have'nt heard of this one.

Jerry

Lan sakes it's Darcie! Howdeee, kiddo, nice to see ya!

I think that this name is probably one someone in New Brunswick appended to the name, i.e. not legitimate but no harm done if it is used in double quotes. It's good to lave locality data attached to such a wide spread species.

Hee hee, Hi Tamlin, and thanks for the info. Um... where is New Brunswick?
I've actually been around, but at the moment my time is going into 50 tree frog babies that just morphed out of the water and they take a lot of work to keep feed and cleaned. That and working at the Miejer gardens with all their plants takes a lot of time and my internet connection at home is cruddy. I'm hoping to be a bit more active again soon though
smile.gif
I just fineshed taking new pictures of all my plants. Most everyone is looking great, but my Darlingtona died when my pump got turned off :p

Sounds like a named location plant from Brunswick County, NC to me  
smile.gif

Oops, I think Alvin Meister is correct. That sounds likely since the area is well known for it's plethora of plants. Hmmmm, wouldn't that make the plant ssp. venosa vs. ssp purpurea? I am not sure of the range of these plants.

(New Brunswick is in Canada so I suppose that might be a possibility)

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Hmmmm, wouldn't that make the plant ssp. venosa vs. ssp purpurea

I think NC is still in the region of ssp venosa. I beleive Venosa gets up into Virgina, where you start to see the hybrid (can you even call it a hybrid between subspecies?) between purpurea and venosa....

Yah well, this plant is sort of inbetweenish so I bet it is the lower site.  It be honest, I'm having trouble telling for sure which subspecies both plants belong to because they are so iffy.  They both look more like northern purples in overall shape, but they also have very fine hair that I can sort of see :p  I'm hoping that after I grow them for a time in my own growing conditions they will start to match the other plants I've seen from the same growing style.

Edit: You know what? I just looked at the plants again and they have expanded their hoods and bellies some since last I looked... and are more open and ruffly o_O I'd say I have venosa after all, although the Brunswick is sort of odd, it's hoods wrap in tight like you see more often in ssp. purpurea, but they definetly have the shorter rounder build of the venosa type now and I guess the hair on them should be the clincher.

What the two look like are dead knockoffs of of S. purpurea purpurea var. heterophylla from slacks book (although it is pink at the base so it's just young growth or a light plant) for the un-named one and the Brunswick Beauty looks just like S. purpurea venosa var montana. Maybe the closed form is what made me think it looked like ssp. purpurea at first glance threw the plastic cup. Although why it looks like montana is beyond me (one of the reasons I had hoped someone had heard of it was the inward curled hood trait in conjunction with fuzzyness which I only know of in montana).

The unspecified one just has purpurea written in next to the typed word sarracenia while the brunswick has sarracenia typed, purpurea typed on a sticker that was placed next to the first part of the name and then brunswick beauty hand written in the corner, do you think the unspecified one could still be purpurea purpurea? :p I love purples for their variation, but it also makes them a pain to deal with. Overall I'd say bother plants have medium sized hoods, but I'm use to MI's tiney hooded purples :p ack, confused.

I also sort of feel bad because even though the collection was legit in front of bulldozers these guys are probubly from the wild.

Too funny! I just this moment logged off of a web site that mentioned that very plant They are in NC and say of 'Brunswick Beauty' that it had pinkish new pitchers that turn burgandy as they age. Sounds lovely. Oh, it is TCed so it should grow rather vigorously and clump nicely. They did not say what the orgin of the plant is or if it is offically registered as a cultivar. Sounds good. I gotta have that one too! (imagine)

Schloaty, you're thinking of the S. purpurea var. intergrade.

Hi Darcie! I'm a newcomer to the forums. I visit the Meijer Gardens quite often with my family. We're due to make our first trip of the season within the next week or two. The CP room is awsome. I spend a great deal of time finding new bogs/fenns to study. The northern purp, ssp.purperea takes on an astounding appearance the farther north you travel in Michigan. I live in SW lower Michigan in Berrien county. The purps we have down hear are the classic type; fairly tall, shorter hoods with little "ruffling" and narrow waistlines. Last saturday I was in a bog/fenn just a few miles southwest of Traverse City. The purps looked like big venosa. Huge ruffled collars, fat bellies and bright red veination. There were hundreds of them too. Do you ever field study? Our area is a goldmine for wild purps.

Back