What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

S. rubra jonesii seed production

Hi,

I have a pair of S. rubra jonesii in my bog.  They both bloomed this spring and so I got to cross pollinate them.  That was the first week in May.

Yesterday, I was looking around the bog and noticed that one of the 3 flowers looked brown and dry, so I cut it off. The seed capsule had either already split or did so when I touched it, but in any case, it was full of seeds.

The seeds look fully formed and are the right color.  Is it possible for pollination-to-seed time to be only 2 months?  I guess time will tell, when I see if any grow or not.

Has anyone else had a similar experience, and were the seeds viable or not? Which species?

I too had some seed heads ripen early. I am going ahead and cold stratifing them and sowing them like I would any other seeds. I will be bringing my seedlings in a greenhouse for the winter so I will start them in August. Mine were from a complex cross of (alata X leuco) X alata "red black."

Okay, good to know someone else (especially in Atlanta) had the same thing happen.

I did go ahead and plant/stratify mine like I've done with other seeds. They'll just grow under lights anyway, so the time of year doesn't matter.

Back