What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

H. tatei question

Hi
Is H. tatei & H. tatei var. tatei the same plant?

cheers

bill

nope. its the same with S. purpurea var. purpurea, they are different varieties.

I beg to differ.
The ICPS database lists
H. tatei {Gleason}
H. tatei {Gleason} f.macdonaldae {(Gleason) Steyerm.}
H. tatei {Gleason} var.neblinae {(Maguire) Steyerm.}
H. tatei {Gleason} var.neblinae {(Maguire) Steyerm.} f.parva {(Maguire) Steyerm.}

Sloppy use of the name H. tatei without any qualifier could leave in question the exact form or variety of the plant. By specifying H. tatei var. tatei, even though that is not a "recognized" variety, it clearly identifies the plant as not being one of the other forms or varieties.

Similarly, with S. purpurea, there is no "recognized" S. purpurea var. purpurea. S. purpurea is the name given to the plant that grows in the northeastern U.S and Canada. S. purpurea var. venosa is the southern variety. However, sloppy use of the name S. purpurea can lead to confusion whether the plant is the northern or southern form. Consequently, to save confusion, the northern form is sometimes referred to as S. purpurea purpurea.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (BobZ @ July 13 2004,6:03)]I beg to differ.
The ICPS database lists
H. tatei {Gleason}
H. tatei {Gleason} f.macdonaldae {(Gleason) Steyerm.}
H. tatei {Gleason} var.neblinae {(Maguire) Steyerm.}
H. tatei {Gleason} var.neblinae {(Maguire) Steyerm.} f.parva {(Maguire) Steyerm.}

Sloppy use of the name H. tatei without any qualifier could leave in question the exact form or variety of the plant. By specifying H. tatei var. tatei, even though that is not a "recognized" variety, it clearly identifies the plant as not being one of the other forms or varieties.

Similarly, with S. purpurea, there is no "recognized" S. purpurea var. purpurea. S. purpurea is the name given to the plant that grows in the northeastern U.S and Canada. S. purpurea var. venosa is the southern variety. However, sloppy use of the name S. purpurea can lead to confusion whether the plant is the northern or southern form. Consequently, to save confusion, the northern form is sometimes referred to as S. purpurea purpurea.
That makes sense Bob.
I have got both H. tatei var. tatei & H. tatei var.neblinae. But I have seen photos where the plant label just shows H. tatei.

cheers

bill

Back