What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sarracenia identification

I bought the plant pictured below as Sarracenia purpurea, but its hoods seem abnormal for that species.

I assume, then, that it's a hybrid, but with what?  My first guess was a flava hybrid, but it doesn't look like the pictures I can find of S. x 'catesbaei'.  Also, when it bloomed this spring, the flowers were dark maroon (more so than shown in the picture, because it was overcast and the camera can't deal with it), with no evidence of flava's yellow.  

New pitchers are green with copper tops, then the whole thing turns maroon.

So any ideas?

sarr02.JPG

sarr01.JPG
sarr03.JPG

sarr04.JPG

the hood looks like purpurea montana. although i don't think they get that red. maybe they do. also, i don't think it's a variety that's readily available. it does look an awful lot like a pure purpurea to me. if it is a hybrid, i would have to guess purpurea x (purpurea x flava), which is also called S. x melanorhoda, i think. the spelling might be off.

I guess what made me most suspicious of the plant is it's upright habit and its weird hat-shaped hoods.  The other purps I have have wide open, undulating hoods with green, veined, and hairy interiors.

The insides of these hoods are nearly smooth and are maroon on matured pitchers, nearly obliterating any veining.

Thats a burkii in that mix, not montana. The pink flower is a giveaway in that hybrid..

I found another picture of the plant's flowers from spring which more accurately represents the color...definately not pink like burkeii.  The first image appeared pink because it was an overcast, rainy day.

sarr05.jpg

Okay, I just looked at TONS of purp pictures on the Web and couldn't find a single one producing pitchers/hoods shaped like this.

It looks like S.x melanorhoda, but you would expect paler, slightly elongated petals.

I think it's a red flowered sarra crossed with purpurea and then backcrossed again with purpurea. Perhaps S.x chelsonii x purpurea, which is (rubra x purp) x purp.

Amazing hooding. I'd name this hybrid 'Vivi' if it wasn't already nicknamed or what-not. Since it's hood and upright position gives it the visual appearance that of a Final Fantasy character named "Vivi" which appears in FF IX and some previous expansions.

Black mage is what you're thinking of.

Awsome plant - Where did you get it?
Peter

Catsbaei vary greatly. I just saw 100s of variations while bogging along the gulf coast this weekend. It could be a back cross on flava or purp. It is hard to tell. It also depends on the source. It looks like Catsbeai to me.

Would a backcross of catesbaei with purp allow the flowers to show no yellow? If so, I'd have to agree that that's probably it's lineage.

Back