What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Double-ribbed ceph

Starman, in Augustins' photo the central wing is kinda forked into 2 then back to 1 at the bottom. However on NepG's photo there is very precisely 1 wing in the center. That is the difference. Mine has the same thing as Augustin's does. 1 at the top spreading into 2 and then back to 1 at the bottom, though I think the "spread" wing is more common than people notice.
Perhaps knowing where each plant came from (distributor) might help in figuring out if this is a variant. Mine came from Tony.

Joe

it does not look any different to my many ceph clones, they all vary a bit in the exact shape of the central 'wing' but this just seems to be a typical 'Y' shaped wing to me....:D

What?
confused.gif
Im sorry, I dont see anything wrong with that ceph.
confused.gif

Maybe you could post a 'typical' and a 'mutated' photo and post them together in the same post?

Its the same as the picture before. I STILL dont see anything wrong with the ceph.
confused.gif

Hi Starman:

I don't know what you are looking at, but these are the pictures.

double ribbed ceph
drceph.JPG

regular ceph
regceph.JPG

I hope you see something now
smile_k_ani_32.gif

Gus

Ohhhhhhhhhhhh, I see!
smile_m_32.gif
Hmmmmm, that is strange...........
Dino
cool.gif

OH! i see completely now!!

the pics you posted earlier are NOT the same as the pic you just posted.

that is a really cool mutation!

hmmm, interesting, but I don't think it worrents a new name, just an update of the description. Plants tend to varry a hole lot and those darn descriptions more often then not reflect only one individual. VFTs are a good example of a very varriable plant that has a poor description.

Hi Darcie:

All i know is that more people carry this variant of cephalotus and from more than one source. If you go by the book:

"The carnivorous plants" by Francis Ernest Lloyd and "the "Carnivorous plants of Australia" vol 3 by Allen Lowrie, this extra set of mini ribs is not described, then the question remains what is it? a subspecies. Since you can cross pollinate cephalotus, you may end up with a plant in which half of the pitchers are double ribbed and half that isn't plus many other types of variations.

The VFT's differ by petiole, trap, and teeth length, but they still have the same traits with variations in size and colour. Would you call these new characteristics or just variations of these?

Gus

Hey since it has an extra rib, maybe you can name it to make some refference to Adam, like "Pre-Eve" or "Garden of Eden" clone, lol.

Joe

Hi all:

There is a fierce debate on two other forums whether this is a true characteristic or a random event. I think we need to study them more to get to a plausible explanation on how and why these extra ribs are there.

I particularly believe is a genuine trait, but it is difficult to prove
smile_h_32.gif

since crossing a pure double rib population with a typical one, one may get some pitchers in some plants with ribs and other pitchers in the same plant without. I think a field study on cephs in their natural habitats is highly desirable to answer some of these questions

Gus

Back