What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

S. alata

very interesting. I have a s. alata that was 'divided' about two months ago (it was barely divided, that is why it is in quotes) and now it is flowering. is this just strange or is it me???

Why its you, of course!! When plants are divided, they are immediately stressed due to the cutting. Sometimes stressing a plant can cause it to do things it would not normally do, like flower. I have seen leucophylla's, flava's, rubra's, etc. all flower at times that they normally wouldn't. Sometimes you do not have to cut them for them to stress. Insect infestation occasionally triggers a flowering, as well as other factors, such as cold, heat, and so on. You never know when thry will do it to you either. I have an s. X aerolata that is budding right now, and all I want is the seed in the spring!!

I guess plants flower when they are stressed as a sort of "last attemp to continue the family tree" The plant doesn't know its being cared for and it doesn't know that your going to give it special care so that it wont die, so if it gets extremely stressed it probably says to itself "well, i'm dead, let me at least have some kids" (BTW if the plant ACTUALLY SAYS something like that.. i'd register it as a new cultivar, fast)
laugh.gif

But, If i were you i wouldn't let it flower since it would be too stressful for the plant and would probably kill it.
smile_h_32.gif

I don't believe this plant is at all stressed though. It was repotted a bit ago and there is new growth and all. it hasn't stopped growing, as if it was never repotted.

Root disturbance of any kind = stress. Not heavy duty stress maybe, but a certain amount of stress for sure. Even using superthrive doesn't alleviate all the stress, but definitely helps a plant past it. As long as the plant is growing, then let it flower. They do flower out of season occasionally, so let it flower. Striate the seed and plant 'em. Collection time would be around February , better yet, mid-March.

where does everyone get superthrive?

Got mine at WalMart, about $6. This is a concentrate, so make sure that you dilute a few drops to a gallon.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Bugweed @ July 31 2004,4:37)]Root disturbance of any kind = stress. Not heavy duty stress maybe, but a certain amount of stress for sure. Even using superthrive doesn't alleviate all the stress, but definitely helps a plant past it. As long as the plant is growing, then let it flower. They do flower out of season occasionally, so let it flower. Striate the seed and plant 'em. Collection time would be around February , better yet, mid-March.
bugweed is right, he usually is All plants endure at least SOME Stress even if it only is a little bit during division or root disturbance

Back