What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Flava photos

G

Here's a photo of a favorite pot of flavas that originated from Florida.

floridaflava.jpg

imduff

Those are beauties! I'm a sucker for flavas.

Here's another. These plants came from a seedpod that I collected from Brunswick Co., NC in '97. I call it the "golden seedpod" because, of the "all red" plants. This year a few plants finally flowered.

ncflava.jpg

Outstanding!  My favorite bog garden happens to be full of flavas as well.  Here's a pic I took of the bog garden this past June.  I bought these plants back in 2000.

sarrs.jpg

-Homer

Thanks for the comments. I hope everyone enjoys the photos.
imduff

Man, you guys will all that sun are so lucky! My sars are pathetic next to those (though the leucos are STARTING to look nice).

Those are some great plants (nice pics, too).

Are those flava and purpurea in the same pot? If so, they are growing great for sucn a shallow pot! Actually, that is a really nifty-looking pot!

Joe

Ach! I LOVE flavas! What beauties. That's a gorgeous pot o' flava!

Homer...yours look great too.

Great job of growing, guys.
smile.gif

Are the plants in the second photo from the same seed pod? I assume it's a flava var. flava x rubricorpora? Incredible to see how the gentics have worked - some all green, some all red and plenty in between.
I have a batch of harperi x flava 'Burgundy' seedlings and some are totally green and some are almost all red.

Imduff,
That pot seems awfully crowded to me. I think those plants need to be thinned.(wink, wink) I can take the extras that you don't have room for like....ALL the red ones! Just trying to help a fella out ya know.

All of the plants are pure flavas, all from the same seedpod. As I've mentioned, I collected the seedpod from a site in North Carolina. The parent plant was a nice 'atropurpurea,' according to Schnell's descriptions. I've germinated other seedpods from similar looking flavas but, never got reds like some of these shown.
Schnell's flava taxonomy is an excellent representation of this species but, it's not inclusive. There are many variations in the field that don't fit into his descriptions. Calling them intragrades may be too simplified. As this pod has demonstrated, one variety can yield many other varieties; 'atropurpurea,' 'cupria,' 'ornata' in this case.

I'll see if I can dig up some more photos.
imduff

You're right on the money Brooks. I hate uprooting plants this time of year with all our heat. Although, I do plan to exchange plants with other growers. A couple of the divisions from the reds have even been committed.
imduff

Here's another one of my pride-and-joys. This plant is best appreciated with a mass of pitchers but, a single pitcher will have to do. Notice the random spotting that the plant produces. It's most obvious in the copper lid and becomes more subtle down the pitcher. The spotting is stable and it doesn't seem to weaken the plant at all.

spottedflava.jpg

imduff

you know, looking at that heavily veined form in the very first photo - anyone else think that's deserving of cultivar status? the more i look at it, the more I just think it is an outstanding looking flava. and the more I look at it, the more I drool. i don't have a flava that gets anywhere near that beautiful. anyway, if you ever have any extra divisions off that plant, please let me know. i have lots of stuff that can be traded. check the WWW link for my growlist.

Hey everyone. I've been hoping that others like Homer and I would add photos of their favorite flavas. Perhaps stimulate some discussion. Anyway, here's another favorite of mine. Sorry about the photo quality. I've always liked the pitchers this plant produces, which start narrow at the rhizome and heavily flare at the opening. I've seen this characteristic a few times but, quite uncommonly.
imduff

flutedflava.jpg

I'll add a little life to a dead topic and squeeze out another flava photo.

imduff

vflava.jpg

Back