What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

S. flava 'red tube'

Here is a pic from Mike King's collection:Sarracenia
I am not sure how warm these plants are being kept, but I imagine that the temperatures are not too high in the UK. I imagine that the light itensity is also not that strong, but the plants seem to be very red.

I've found the majority of my red flava start dark red and stay red. I do however have a couple that start very red and fade to a soft orange color as the season goes on. The reddest plants I have are from Liberty County in Florida. I don't use any special soil mix or do anything different with these plants. I have noticed the red flava I have grow quite a bit slower than typical flava.

Interesting comments about temps and coloration. Here in south Florida we are almost too tropical for Sarrs. We do get intense colors, and their roots do get warm. Flavas slow down for us mid-summer, often producing only phyllodia until fall.
It is interesting to note that the red tubes at certain panhandle locales emmerge later in spring than the rugelli's.

Trent

The maximum UV level for mid England is about 8, so strongish but not extreme. The temperatures in Mike's greenhouse can get pretty hot, it felt about 35C when I was there on a sunny warm day. The sweat was dripping off me!

Alvin,
That sounds perfect for Sarrs. Ever spend a summer day in Pensacola? Whew! I thought south Florida was bad!

Trent

I know the humidity down there makes it very uncomfortable indeed. Over here people moan when it's just a bit humid and warm at night!

Hi Trent,
I know how hot Pensacola is.. I was there 2 years ago. 35C with 92% humidity..!

Back