What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

S. flava etoliation and s. leucophylla dormancy

Hey -

Here's a question - why, after growing a set of huge, gorgeous pitchers in the spring would an S. flava suddenly send up a batch of etoliated pitchers? Water has been constant and from the same source...

Also -

Has anyone else a leucophylla still not very "awake"? Mine has produced a handful of etoliated pitchers, but no great pitchers yet - same bog as the early wonderful flava. Full sun, ample water, no root disturbance since last August.

Thanks.

- Patrick

they aren't etoliated, it's getting late in the summer and plants are starting to make weird pitchers with giant ala's. it's like they are still trying to decide weather or not to make  phylodia or pitchers. mine are doing the same thing. also, if you've had strong rains like we've had lately, it can push/pin the pitchers down and make them grow really strangely.

leuco's send up another batch of pitchers around fall.

The early pitchers are always the best on my flavas. I had intended to cotton ball most of the lava pitchers this year to see if that would encourage it to grow better pitchers through the summer. But I never quite got around to doing it.

My Sarras grow on top of the fence along the dogs' yard and they feast heavily on flys and yellow jackets drawn to the area. I've wondered if the abundant nutrient supply encourages the plant to quit trapping and to instead focus on photosynthesizing.

Unlike flavas, a leucophylla's Fall pitchers are the best of the season. They'll be taller, much wider, and with more striking coloration. I know it's happening every year, but I'm always surprised by those pitchers.

JLAP nailed it. Same here, Patrick. The pitchers don't know if they want to be phyllodia, or pitchers. Don't worry about it. Sometimes it'll happen for several years, then a crop of pitchers will last into the fall and be quite stunning. Let them do their thing, they'll be back with a vengeance in the spring.

Your plants are acting completely normally. Flavas do their thing in spring and then grow phyllodia and phyllodiform pitchers.

Leucophylla grows pretty skinny pitchers until September, when it starts getting going.

Thanks everyone -

I knew that flava would switch over to phyllodia, I just wasn't aware of the phyllodiform pitchers. Very sadly, nearly all of the nice pitchers were destroyed two weeks ago in an incredible rain we had. Oh well, there's always next year.

As far as the leucophyllas go, I'm not talking skinny pitchers. That's what my leuco Tarnoks have been doing. But one of my normal leucos is producing huge alas with a 2 cm red and white hoods on the ends...I guess I'll just wait and see.

Back