What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Darlingtonia getting brown

My Darlingtonia is getting brown pitchers. Is this Normal? It is nearly autum after all
Dino

I'd like to hear the answer to this one, since my last Darlingtonia was exhibiting the same thing.

darlingtonia are generally picky, it might just be an old pitcher, or an early dormancy sign

50% of pitchers are going, and not all of them are old.

Need more details got any pictures?

um, I have to take a picture, I will post something later.
smile_m_32.gif

Dino
cool.gif

Well.. I only have one Darlingtonia which I stuck on the bench with my highland Nepenthes. So my experience is somewhat limited. The plant has kept its pitchers all through the Winter and just added more this grow season. I don't think it should lose lots of pitchers in the Fall if kept above freezing temperatures. So I am guessing that it is something else going on with your plant and not some sort of dormancy.

Tony

I would guess they got too hot and dry.

Tony,

do you keep the watering airated and cool? I lost my last summer to water temperature and having them sit in a pan of water, I think anyways.

A friend in San Diego has his growing nicely, but he has water running all the time and cools it by running it through one of those dorm refrigerator. He warned me about just letting them sit in water, but did not listen. Anyway they died and I have been working on some different ideas to get them fresh/airated cooled water. I would like to know your setup.

Rick

Back