What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pictures

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brooks,

That golden moorei is a beauty!

Ooh PDX that S.flava is awesome! Is that a heterophylla?

Brooks,

That nice looking moorei has the signs of Xyra damage. Were you able to resolve the problem?

imduff

ImDuff,
No, I have not solved the problem despite the fact I have sprayed twice with Orthene. Short of burning my entire collection, I am at my wits end!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (pond boy @ Aug. 23 2004,7:35)]Ooh PDX that S.flava is awesome! Is that a heterophylla?
Actually when I got the plant in a month or so ago it was a 38" tall rugelli. It's just now getting new pitchers and this is what's appeared so far. They're only about 12" tall. Next year it should be a giant again. It is a nice lime color though.

Brooks,

I've used Isotox with success. I believe it is now sold under a common (generic) name. You can find it at Lowe's or Home Depot.

Good luck, continue to be aggressive with them,
imduff

I believe that orthene is one component of isotox. Anyway, it worked like a charm for my insect problems.
imduff

AFAIK the active ingredent in isotox (orthene) is Acephate
O,S-dimethyl acetylphosphoramidothioate

IMDUFF,
WHAT INSECT PROBLEM DID YOU HAVE AND WHAT DID YOU USE? THE ISOTOX OR THE ORTHENE? I WAS TOLD TO USE OROTHENE AT 1/2 STRENGTH. I HAVE BOTH ON HAND.

MANY THANKS!

I finally got Easy Designer to cooperate. Here are three more of my current favorites Enjoy!

citredfloptop.jpg

an alata x leuco cross

psittxrubra.jpg

a psitt x rubra cross (actually there three in the same pot and all are slightly different)

alataxpsittxrubra.jpg

My present fav! An alata x psitt x rubra.

Those are realy nice! I realy like that S.'alien bannana'
smile.gif

OK, Brooks has killed me with the alata x leuco so I thought I'd post a few more....

lpr.jpg

Leuco. x Psitt. x Rubra

jbug.jpg

June Bug

rjnc.jpg

Rubra ssp. Jonesii Henderson Co., NC

That S.Leuco. x Psitt. x Rubra Is absolutley stunning!

OH YEAH PDX! You just wait until tomorrow when the sun comes up! I'll show you!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Sarraceniaobsessed @ Aug. 24 2004,8:17)]OH YEAH PDX! You just wait until tomorrow when the sun comes up! I'll show you!
Sure - use the old "darkness" excuse
smile_n_32.gif

Brooks,

A couple of years ago I had a relentless infestation of Exyra moths. Actually, the moths are harmless, it's the larvae that treat your favorite pots like a buffet. I used full strength + of isotox. It didn't harm the plants at all but, the Exyra catapillars all died in about a day. Two to three weeks later I had a new crop of baby larvae doing their damage. This pattern continued a few times before they were gone for good.
BTW, I saturated all my plants with the solution whether they showed signs of damage or not.
For me this was a last resort. I first routinely removed affected pitchers and killed the pest. I was unable to keep them controlled with this technique. My next drastic measure was to remove all pitchers to the rhizome and shred the pitchers to a pulp. Even this didn't work. For me chemicals worked well.
Good luck,
imduff

Imduff,
I have done a similar routine. I tried to kill the buggers by hand but there are just too many of them. I have only seen one adult moth and tracked her down and killer her. I would have thought the Orthene would have gotten the adults first since they were not necessarily protected inside the pitchers but not true. I was told to use the Orthene at half strenght. I have sprayed twice a week apart. Now, I am concerned about a toxic build up in the plants because Orthene is a systemic that will cause a burn or death. This past weekend I stripped a good number of the effected pitchers off and burned them. I am assuming I need to wait another week before applying the Isotox at full strenght. Thanks for your input. It is much appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back