What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pictures

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, the sun actually came out for a bit yesterday and I snapped a few pictures of some new arrivals. The first 2 are of Rubra ssp. Alabamensis. These plants have huge lids and are almost a neon color. The 3rd is my Rubra ancestral from Georgia that was discussed in another thread.

ramd.jpg

ramd2.jpg

ranc.jpg

Brooks,

You did a great job in thinking that through. A few years is not much to wait, considering what it will amount to.
what does it take to tc Sarracenia? A plant will work for that(like a growing division off the original plant)?

Cheers,

Joe

Joe,
Thanks! Many times I have found myself looking at a picture of a cultivar with no hope of ever finding one. I certainlly did not want to inflict that agony on someone else.

I think there may be a thread here on TF about TC. I am not the one to ask but I will tell you the limited bit I do know. TC is very complicated and requires clinically sterile conditions. A portion of the growing tip is extracted and sterilized and placed in agar (I think) There has to be many more steps than this but I am clueless. I do know that flavas are notoriously difficult to TC as they rarely produce a clean sample. Often times, flavas lend this characteristic to their hybrids. Leucos are very easy I understand i.e. 'Tarnok.' I was fortunate that 'Leah', being a moorei cross, took after the Leuco side of the family. The technician that did the TC on 'Leah' had been looking for a worthy moorei specimen to try and, I happened to be in the right place at the right time with just the right plant. I took him three strong growing points about this time last year that came from the orginal plant with written permission from Mrs. Wilkerson. He had hoped to try right away as disturbed plants often will start growth again but the plants went right to sleep. It was not until this summer when he had time that he was able to get the cultures to take. Probably more than you wanted to know.

Imduff- I know Im three pages late, but I though that the boob tubes were ceated by crump. Thats what he said anyway.

Craig

Very nice rubras pdx! Those alabamensis are very nice!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (pond boy @ Sep. 22 2004,8:29)]Very nice rubras pdx! Those alabamensis are very nice!
Thanks Noah. I'm excited to see how they do once they settle in. Probably will look great next season.

I also liked your minor from Georgia - nice looking plant.

A couple more photos. This thread will be fun to look through this winter while everything's dormant.

A (rubra ssp. alabamensis x purpurea ssp. venosa) x rubra and Phil Sheridan's Rubra ssp. rubra x leucophylla.

rapurr.jpg

psrrl.jpg

Thanks Kirk.

How's that plant you got from me doing?

Nice pdx I like that S.(rubra ssp. alabamensis x purpurea ssp. venosa) x rubra. Looks like my S."Rose Witt".

Heres the Rose Witt this was a pitcher from nearly a month ago and the plant has produced several new and better pitchers since .
S.rosewitt_8_28_04.JPG
Also I made the minor picture better. And heres a green dragon vft
vftgreendragon_8_20_04.JPG

Nep Lover,

Boob Tube is registered to Dr.Mellichamp and Rob Gardener. David Crump may have received a division of the plant from Dr.Mellichamp but, David didn't create it. I don't think that David has produced any hybrids. If I'm not mistaken, he simply retails plants.

Thanks for the question,
imduff

Imduff, You are 100% correct. Dave just retails, and gets his hybrids from Gardener and Mellichamp.

Any pics of this hybrid? And does anybody agree that my hybrid is a rubra x purp cross?

The Georgian rubra is gorgeous, PDX. It looks just like mine...the genes from that region, with the brown pitchers and purple-black lip, are some of the most beautiful rubra sets in my opinion.

- Patrick

I am enjoying this posting very much. As a friend of mine says, "Sets my soul on fire!" I agree with PDX, I can come back this winter and enjoy all of these great pics. Here's another by request.

a maroon hooded alata just opening and not yet in full color.
maroonhoodalata.jpg

Here's a couple of my largest leuco. Tarnoks.

tar922.jpg

tar2922.jpg

PDX, the file names on your "couple of my largest leuco" photos above are tar922.jpg and tar2922.jpg. Does this suggest that the plants are S. 'Tarnok'?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (BobZ @ Sep. 23 2004,1:05)]PDX, the file names on your "couple of my largest leuco" photos above are tar922.jpg and tar2922.jpg. Does this suggest that the plants are S. 'Tarnok'?
Hi Bob,

Sorry for the mix-up - yes they are both Tarnok leuco's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back