What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pruning question

About 2 weeks ago I got a S. Leucophylla however most of the traps were half dead/half green and it looked really ugly. However I figured there was green left so I would leave that on till there was new rowth so it could photosynthezie and get new energy. However it is starting to get new growth so I was wondering if trimming the half dead traps off wouldn't hurt because they really are an eyesore. Also I was wondering if it would spur new plant growth as pruning generally does. Any thoughts comments?

I wouldn't cut into any green if I were you, just cut the brown bits off. Pruning the leaves back will just weaken it and won't force it to grow any more pitchers. Hence why when wild plants are shaded out they gradually weaken and can even spend whole seasons dormant until the light returns.

I would agree. I think the production of pitchers in fall and phyllodia in winter (which are often trashed by spring) backs up the idea that these plants have a constant need to soak up light, even when they don't look great or aren't doing much.

- Patrick

Back