What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best way to root cephalotous

I'm getting a cephalotous cutting and I'm wondering what's the BEST way to root it. Kiento says that I should use sugarwater (that it dramatically increases the chances of it rooting), I've heard to have them float on water, to put them in moist sphagnum moss, etc.
how would I go about rooting a cephalotous cutting? if I should use sugarwater then how much sugar should I add to the water?
thanks
smile.gif

i used live sphagnum in a BIG covered dish
i gave it bottom heat with a lizard heatting rock one of the smallest ones they have so it would'nt get too hot and i also gave it 12 hours of flourecent light
i did remove the lid once every two days dureing the day time so as not to incurage mold to grow
also i did not touch them, it took about one month for the first leaf to sprout it's own pitchers while others took two or two and hahalf months.

sounds easy... but why BOTTOM heat? could I give it heat from a lamp (top)?

Hey alphawolf - are you getting a root, leaf, or pitcher cutting? I've rooted all three in moist spag, top lights, high humidity. Never heard about the sugarwater, but I use a very, very dilute solution of water, superthrive and a pinch of orchid fertilizer. If you get a pitcher cutting, rip off the "roof" and keep the pitcher filled with water. And I agree S8R, it can take a while before it sprouts - mine took 4 months! But as long as the cutting is green and not mushy brown, then it's doing fine!

aha! ok... I think I'll do ok. I will not use fertilizer though!!!! I'm afraid of using fertilizer even in regular plants! lol! I haven't killed any last times I fertilized them but I used to :p

I got the sugarwater technique from elgecko's site so ask him about it. I myself have never grown a ceph let alone from a cutting. It says on elgecko's site that it brings the percentage up by like 70 if you use sugarwater rather than regular distilled water. I'm sure that superthrive would also make a difference. And Luis, SuperThrive isn't really a fertilizer, it;s more of a vitamin or something. It's a lot safer and better than fertilizer apparently.

i'm about to get my very first two cephs from tony, a mature regular, and a seedling giant clone

Back