What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Huge leucophylla pitchers

NOT...
laugh.gif

Ever since I got this from Dean, its been putting out phyllodia... And what does it do for fall? PUT OUT 18 INCH PHYLLODIA WITH A TINY 1 MM WIDE PITCHER AT THE END!

Anyone know why this guy refuses to "grow up"?
confused.gif

I say burn it this winter and see if that does not shock it into growing. Haven't a clue what could be wrong with it but I say do something different.

How do I go about "burning" it? Thr crown is above the soil line, so it would prolly kill it

Nah!!!! Pack wet LFS around the crown and pile a hand ful of pinestaw on it and light it...outside with a hose on and ready. a low heat fire that will burn the phyllodia off in late Feb. before they come up and make sure the ashes are in the pot and get watered in.

Has it got maximum light? What's it potted in? Has it had a dormancy whilst its been in your care? I find leucos can sometimes take time to readjust to conditions when they are suddenly grown in a slightly different environment. It will sort itself out, I've had leucophyllas take a couple of years to start doing their stuff properly.

Sometimes the final phyllodia of summer will finish with tiny openings, but they'll soon be followed by those awesome fall pitchers. Assuming there's enough light and the plant is otherwise happy.

I'd just give it time. One of my leucos bloomed this spring and made nothing but phyllodia all year. Then, in the last week or two, it began to send up BIG pitchers. I expect them to open around October 1.

If you do decide to burn it, make sure it's not in a plastic pot still...
smile_n_32.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Alvin Meister @ Sep. 14 2004,2:44)]Has it got maximum light? What's it potted in? Has it had a dormancy whilst its been in your care? I find leucos can sometimes take time to readjust to conditions when they are suddenly grown in a slightly different environment. It will sort itself out, I've had leucophyllas take a couple of years to start doing their stuff properly.
Lots of light... It's in the potting soil I got from Dean... (Didn't want to repot it this year)

Back