What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Scales

I was noticing a decline in the health of my tinny Ceph. Upon closer inspection to my horror what should I find... scales!

Any one ever get these pests on their Ceph? and what would you recommend to get rid of them?

Thanks,

Andre

i've never had them except on a spider plant a long time ago, and i pray to god i never have them agian!!!

we all know that cp's aren't as sensitive as most people think, but they are still sensitive, especially cephs. we also know that orchids are reasonably sensitive, although not as sensitive as most cp's. i found this page on scale control with orchids that might help.

Scale Control

i hope my googling paid off! good luck!

Since my plant is tinny I had tried the rubbing alcohol and a q-tip method. However I was wondering if any one ever tried insecticidal soap on carnivorous plants? Can it be used on CP's ?

On a side note this past summer my grow room ( converted cold room in the cellar) had been hit hard by aphids, I was not sure about using the insecticidal soap so I purchased a bag full of ladies bugs and let them go. Well the ones that did not get eaten by the Nepenthes and the VFT did the job and cleaned out the aphids... still have some lady bugs crawling around to this day.

i'm scared of using soap of any kind. i'd rather be safe that sorry!

MAYBE you could sterilize the entire plant with a chlorine solution like they do to prep plant tissue heading for in vitro.

Scale is a nightmare..
nasty sticky buggers..
a very persistant bug!
there are 2 stages..
the adult, the scale bugs we see, which has the hard outer shell..
like a turtle shell..
they dont move, just stay stuck in one spot, protected under their shell..

and the larva, small unprotected crawlers, which we usually dont see..

sprays dont work well on the adults, because of the protective shell,
so the key to getting rid of scale is to smoosh all the visable adults..you can press on the shell and "pop" them!
kinda gross, but it works..
then after you have squished all the adults, rinse the plant under the faucet and rub off all the shells..
then SPRAY with an insecticidal soap..
(soaps are the most mild of insecticides..)
this kills the crawlers..
all of them? NEVER!
smile_h_32.gif

the key is to repeat the process every few days for several weeks!
gotta get all those crawlers that hatch from eggs after the first spray..

its a hassle, but they can be wiped out..
just have to be vigilant with squishing the adults and spraying for the larva..
I would repeat the process twice a week for a month!

I have had scale on my nice Ficus bonsai..they are tough!!
but beatable..
squish, spray and repeat..
squish, spray and repeat...
Scot

I have found that a dilute spray of Isotox (Orthene) eliminates scale without injury to CPs.

Back