What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

elgecko

I've got a magic window!
I moved one of my little cephs, about the size of a quarter, which I started from a leaf cutting about a year ago from my terrarium to a windowsill a little over a month ago to see if I can grow this plant this way.
It was growing good, but about a week ago I noticed what looked to be very small white fuzz on a leaf or 2 and pitcher. I thought this to be fungus. I mixed some fungicide, 3336 i think, used a qtip to apply to the affected areas. I looked close again a day or 2 later. There is still some of the white fuzz. I applied more. I left drops on the plant. The plant looks like it did not enjoy that.
The white fuzz still looks like it is there. I'm going to just let it be and see what happens, unless someone has a good idea how to get rid of it.
I'm not sure why it would get the white fuzz. Most likely, less humidity, more air movement, and direct sunlight part of the day. The others I have growing in the terrarium have never gotten this white fuzz. If the plant passes away, it makes me a little afraid to move another one to the windowsill. I want to do this to get deep red pitchers on one of my cephs.

The fuzz I think is usually from lack of air movement. I had that too on my windowsill Ceph but it was inside a plastic bag. I opened the bag so air moves through freely but keeps some humidity in and now the fuzz has left, it takes a week or so for the fuzz to leave.

Joe

Mealy bugs can also be described as a white fuzz. How big is the fuzz?

Check out this link Mealy bugs

Don't baby pitcher buds on a ceph look like a tuft of fuzz? Are sure sure it's fungus?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (schloaty @ Sep. 14 2004,1:53)]Don't baby pitcher buds on a ceph look like a tuft of fuzz? Are sure sure it's fungus?
Yes, forming pitchers look like tufts of fuzz. I can tell the difference.
smile.gif

Yes, I believe it to be fungus. It was on a leaf or 2 and on an inflated pitcher. The leaf has a slightly red area where the fuzz is.

This is not present on my other 3 cephs which all grow in my terrarium. Only on the ceph I have at the windowsill. It does not have any cover over it, just getting room humidity which averages around 50%.

seedling,
I do not think it's mealy bugs. The little white fuzz is tiny, and not very dense.

Back