What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tough heliamphora?

elgecko

I've got a magic window!
I'm wondering if any Heliamphora are tougher then others.
I'm about to lose my second one of Heliamphora heterodoxa x minor. My first was the PFT special, and the second was a small plant from a fellow grower. It did last a lot longer, a month compared to 4 days, but is about to die.

The conditions which I supplied for them is as follows:

I pot mine in a 4" pot. I used LFS, perlite, peatmoss, and lava rock for my soil mix. I placed it in my terrarium. Day time temp's in the mid 80's / the humidity around 50%. Night the temp dropped to the mid 70's / humidity around 78%. I have 2 - 15 watt florescent light on for 13 hours a day.

I would love to grow a sunpitcher of somekind, but I'm having trouble with this plant. It makes it very discouraging to try again. Do my conditions sound favarable to sunpitchers?

i grow the same plant as you, as well as heterodoxa "gran sabbana" (spelling?)

my conditions are almost the same, except my humidity is in the low 80's and i have stronger light (440 watts) on for 14 hours a day. i use pure lfs. they are growing much, much faster than i thought they would.

edit:

i'm thinking about increasing day temps to 90 degrees, night temps to mid 80's. i'll see how this works out. i dont think they'll do well but who knows. also thinking of decreasing humidity to 75%

1. Send them to me ill take care of em
smile_m_32.gif
jk

First, i would lower the temperatures a bit. Please keep in mind that heliamphoras are more prone to root rot than sarracenia, and like to be dried out a bit in between waterings... (IME!)

Second, Give it a better potting soil... I highly reccomend adding some LFS to the mix, and vermiculite... This worked wonders for me.

Lastly, how far away are the lights? I reccoment adding some more light, you'll be more likely to get more lusher, redder, pitchers

I water this plant like I water all my sarrs. Maybe I should water less like I do for my ceph. I believe it's too late for this plant.
How much water do most of you growers here water your plants?

Next one I get, if I get another I can try less water and some vermiculite in the soil mix, I already use LFS.

i water when the very top of the live sphag looks like it needs watering.

I'm guessing maybe your temps are too high? Really though, my heterodoxa x minor is a very easy grower. IT's in my terrainium with temps in the 75-80 for the day and 65-70 for the night. It is also potted in 100% pure sphagnu moss.

I placed my temp and humidity guage in the terrarium last night to get some readings again. It was a long time ago when I took them.
I was surprised that my humidity was as high as it was. It was at 78%. The temp at 79 degrees. I'm going to take readings for around a month and see what it is actually doing in there.

i have an electronic hygrometer attatched to the back of the tank. it's in the middle, and i have the probe at the bottom. that way i can tell what temperatures plants of different sizes/heights are auctually growing at. i never take it out, i really like to know what's going on 24/7.

I got a little pup from JLP and just laid it in my Ceph pot (way oversized pot) and it is doing greatt there. It has thrown roots down in and stood itself up. Pitchers are staying small still but many more are popping up.
It get West window light and pot is sitting up out of water tray and the whole thing has a bag loosely covering for ventilation and best humidity.

Joe

i'm so happy that it worked out well for you!

Back