What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My web page

• Thread starter sarracenia
  • Start date
I have finished up a little web page of most of my pictures. Thanks to Dreamweaver, otherwise, I had no idea what I was doing. Just click the WWW link at the bottom of the post.

I love the (rubra x oreophila) x purpurea red ruffles
smile_k_ani_32.gif

Nice plants!

I looked every one of them. Beautiful plants! I can see why chose your forum name. Ever think of getting a sundew or a butterwort, though? I spied one VFT in the background. You must have every combination and permutation of Sarracenia hybrid out there! my favorites are the crosses containing purpurea - the deep red coloration. Good growing!

Thanks for the comments. I appreciate them. I do have some VFT's, and actually a ton of sundews that just kind of grow like weeds, not that I remove them or anything. I think there's filiformis, capensis, rotundifolia, capillaris, intermedia in there for sure, maybe a few others.

Obviously, you are showcasing the Sarrs.!

Like Jim, I looked at every one of your photos.  The variety was mindnumbing.  I wonder what kind of conditions you grow your plants in – where you live, whether the plants grow outdoors or in a greenhouse, what kind of medium you use, how you water the plants, and anything else that might be useful.  I could make some guesses, but like someone said, it is better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Tropics @ Sep. 15 2004,6:56)]I wonder what kind of conditions you grow your plants in – where you live, whether the plants grow outdoors or in a greenhouse, what kind of medium you use, how you water the plants, and anything else that might be useful.  
I grow them all in pots with sphagnum peat and perlite, probably around 60:40, but I don't measure it out or anything. I used to use pots with no drainage holes, but I have since gradually been transferring to pots sitting in plastic saucers a few inches deep. I find that you have to water them less that way. I pray for rain all the time, but when mother nature doesn't cooperate, I use water from Wal-Mart, the self-filling machine they have there. I have had no problems using that water. At 33 cents a gallon, it's not bad, but it can add up quick during dry spells.
They've predominantly grown outside. I used to live in Missouri, so occasionally I'd move them into the garage when it got especially cold. I kind of had a rule if the forecast called for temps not to rise above freezing for more than a couple of days, I'd move them in. I think one winter in MO, they stayed out all winter, another winter I remember putting them in around thanksgiving, and they didn't come out until Feb. Last year, I lived in VA Beach, so they were outside all winter. A few times it got down to 18 at night and everything survived, even seedlings that had sprouted that year. I moved to NW WI this past spring, so this will be my first real winter. I'm a little nervous, just about the length of the winter. I'll be putting them in my basement as soon as the weather turns south, hopefully not until Nov. I doubt they'll be able to come out until around April. I hope that's not too long for them. My wife is in charge of the greenhouse at the University here, so my seedlings will spend the winter there without dormancy.

I guess I've had good luck so far, although light conditions are not perfect where I live now. During peak summer, they get only 5-6 hours of sun, but it has rapidly fallen as we get closer to fall. Probably about 3 now. Just enough to stay healthy I think. We're hoping to buy a house in a year or two at the most, and I will make sure we have a spot for them where they get a ton of sun. Will most likely get a greenhouse too, as I am going to seriously start breeding these guys and probably start a little online store.

I think the one thing I've learned is that these are tough plants, despite the specialized requirements. I used to curse our dog if he even started poking his head around them. But now, nothing really fazes me. I have a purp x (psitt x rubra) that has been picked on especially hard by squirrels. i don't know how many times I've found it dug up, but it's still sending out leaves. also, for as wet as they like it, i've found them surprisingly drought tolerant, so-to-speak. i tend to get lazy watering them, especially during hot spells where it seems i have to water them every 3 days. on several occasions, i've found whole plants wilted over, and while the leaves die, the plant stays alive. i've only ever lost one plant, and that was when I was gone for a week in Hawaii to get married. I had a co-worker come and water them twice. He did everything correct as far as I could tell. i got back and found that plant dead. not sure why that one died, but oh well.

hope this helps some of you. i don't consider myself an expert or anything. just lucky, so far.

Thanks for the information.  It helps to get tips from someone who has had great success.  Good luck in your new homw.  I hope your plants (and you) make it through the winter.

Back