What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cephalotus in winter

Hi everyone!
Does anyoen know how I hsoud care for my Ceph in winter?
Thank oyu for any help,
Dino
cool.gif

I heard they like cool, wet winters, or maybe it was warm, wet, i guess ill find out

I keep mine under a two tube shop light with a bunch of small orchids and some short Neps.  They'd all like more light, but that's what I have and that's what they get.

I grow them in a mix of LFS & volcanic (sponge) rock in 4" tall pots with packing peanuts on the bottom.  That potting mix encourages terrific root systems and allows plants to tolerate wetting and drying without root damage.  I do ~ the same for Neps and Sarrs, except Sarrs don't get packing peanuts and sit in water.  And large Neps and Sarrs get larger pots.

I water them a couple times per week by floating their pots in a dishpan of rain or distilled (dehumidifier) water.  And that's how they spend the winter.

I grow mine on a windowsill with drier soil. It grows non trapping leaves throughout the winter and goes back in the greenhouse in spring.

What about in winter,herenorthere?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (herenorthere @ Sep. 18 2004,7:40)]And that's how they spend the winter.
need to read more carefully
smile_n_32.gif

And I need to write more carefully, because Sarrs don't spend the winter indoors. They stay outside under a deep pile of leaves.

Mine is outdoors year round. It gets cooler, wetter winters, and cool nights all year round. It might touch freezing overnight once or twice a year. It seems to grow pretty steadily all year long, but I've only had it out for a year and a half now. Just this summer the pitcher count has about doubled, and the largest yet has grown.

They get about 4 hours of direct sunlight, and are otherwise in bright shade. I water when the water in the saucer has dried up, though in winter they get a good deal of rain.

Capslock

Um shall I just keep mine int he exact same conditions in winter?

On the windowsill, under a plastic bottle to raise humidity(It likes its conditions and has naerly doubled in size since I got it in March)

Well personally I would leave it on your windowsill over winter and remove the water bottle to prevent any fungus during the dark winter days. If it is anything like mine then it will grow a whole load of winter leaves and then pitcher again next spring
smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Alvin Meister @ Oct. 12 2004,3:50)]Well personally I would leave it on your windowsill over winter and remove the water bottle to prevent any fungus during the dark winter days. If it is anything like mine then it will grow a whole load of winter leaves and then pitcher again next spring  
smile.gif
Thank you Alvin!
smile.gif

Shoudl I be taking the bottle off round about now?

I would since the days are really drawing in now. That reminds me - I should bring in my own cephalotus from the greenhouse since it's so chilly now.

Thank you for your help.
smile.gif

Mine goes in the highland tank for the winter with the (highland) neps, heliamphora, few phals (orchids), and whatever 'dews I can cram in there.

May have to take the phals out this year....They're taking space away from my cp's. :-[

Back