What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Flavas withered away...?

Hey guys, I have some S. Flavas that all of a sudden just started withering away... the tubers do not look dormant they look dead. From my understanding the rhizome is supposed to be whitish inside... they are brown and dieing. Any clue what might be triggering this?? I figured it might be all the rain we've been haveing the last few months flooding the bog and keeping the rhizomes compleatly submerged. any tips??

-Juan_Carlos

same thing happened to me, on my very first plant!!!
mad.gif
I just sat back, and waited, but it eventually died

your plant died due perhaps from too much water aswell?

-Juan-Carlos

well the soil was very wet, however there were also some bugs in it so i repotted, the smartest thing you can probably do is put them into an early dormancy, and hope that when you repot them they come back

Gentlemen,
I know both of you live in Florida. For some reason, S. flava has a very hard time growing south of its natural habitat. They seem to be prone to a fungus-rhizome rot-that hits them during the summer.
Kirk, you are up in the Melbourne area. Was it a flava that crashed on you?
We give all our Sarracenia regular systemic fungicide treatments, increasing the frequency of application during the summer when this problem occurs. We also grow them drier than normal, which seems to help. Also, they always go into dormancy on their own, so that is not the problem. The flavas will go down during the hot, wet months of the year, Aug, Sept seem to be the worst times. I cannot figure out what is different about our summer conditions compared to their native habitat. We are even using sterilized peat and sand to eliminate possible nematode problems, which brings me back to the conclusion that there is some sort of fungus or bacterium in our micro-flora that attacks Sarrs., and flava is very susceptible.
Any other Sarr growers in Florida south of Orlando---would like to hear your comments.

Trent

Makes sence... thanx for the feedback Trent, I have one flava left, and its doing well... i'll keep an eye on it and try a fungicide, the whole dryer media is on my to do list repot the remaining flava on its own and keep it a bit dryer.

Thanks guys,

-Juan-Carlos

Trent keep me posted on that meet you told me for the fall... i've been dieing to pass by but I've been so busy with work, its driving me crazy!
smile_k_ani_32.gif
  Anyhow talk to you soon!

I live south of Orlando and don't have a problem with growing Flava. I tend to keep them somewhat drier than my other plants, but that's just me being a bit lazy - but that might be what helps having no rotting. The only trouble I have is that I can never seem to get seed to form. The flower stalk always dies (withers up and falls over) during the summer before the seeds are anywhere near mature.

Keeping the flavas drier than the other Sarrs might be the trick. We have no problem with seed, however. We harvested 22 seed pods this season. We're preparing for a lot of seedlings!

Trent

Maybe some of these seedlings will show more heat tolerance? Maybe you could build a bog type thing and put about 50 seedlings in there and let them battle it out:p? Maybe you`ll end up with a few that are resistant to this,supposed,fungus infection? That would be great for you guys way down there in the bottom of florida:)

Back