What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cephalotus lids inverted

Well, a friend of mine brought it to my attention that the lids on my Ceph seem to be a bit odd. What do you all think of this? I'm not too worried, since the plant is doing so well.

cephlids.jpg

thanks,

Homer

I htink it means that humidity is too high.
Ideally, they should be nice and firm and just hanging over the pitcher, not inverted.
If they are loose and droop compltely tot he point where they are touching or nearly touching the lip, then humidity is too low.

Beats me, awsome looking plant though. Whats the drosera next to it?

Well, I think Starman is partly right...I think it means the humidity is high...Though I wouldn't go so far as to say too high unless you start to see fungus or mold. The plant looks very happy & healthy, so I would continue doing whatever it is you are doing (or not doing, as the case may be).

Humidity too high? Oh my, what a picky plant. The RH hovers around 50% on average.

-Homer

maybe its desperate for flies? thats y its wide open for prays
laugh.gif

My cephalotus is in similar conditions to Homer's. RH 40%-50%. My cephalotus does not have have inverted lids. I was the one who pointed out to Homer originally that his was a bit different, in terms of the inverted lids. I have seen a similar picture from someone else, but I can not remember who.

looks like you might have a new cultivar on your hands!
smile.gif

There is a delicate balance between the cells on the outer surface and the inner surface.

I would take an educated guess and say that most likely there was a period of dryer conditions during pitcher development. The cells on the outside surface of the lid were stunted slightly while the ones on the inside surface were not. This caused the lid to pop into the reflexed form you see on some of them when the inside cells finally reached their full size.

Tony

I want to get my own Cephalotous... Especially one as cool as that one.

Homer,
Guess what the latest pitcher looks like on my ceph?.............That's right, its lid is inverted.
Were did your ceph come from? Mine was from Cook's.

I did a little research, and my ceph originated from Cook's as well. The plant was most likely taken from division a few years back.

-Homer

i think that does look pretty awesome. besides it looks healthy enough to me.

mines hav really big lids, too much humidity? or is taht natural? the lid looks bigger then the pitcher

Mine in the past had that happen to their lids in time. I did lots of fluctuation with water table, which may have caused it.

Cheers,

Joe

Bear in mind that not every little anomaly on a plant is grounds for cultivar status. The condition of those lids may well be enviromental or cultivation related, not necessarily a consistent, deviant genetic factor. And also "different" doesn't always mean worthy of reproducing. No two plants are alike but that doesn't mean something that looks a little different is worthy of registering.

I've never seen lids like that but I think I'll go home and check my plants to make sure.
smile.gif

Back