What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New cephalotus drying out!

Hey people,

my new Cephalotus is drying out and i need your help to revive it

these are my conditions:
I live in singapore, humidity is about 50-60% day and night,
i grow them about 3 inches away from strong fluorescent lights
watering is the standard tray method, my VFTs and sundews do well this setup
soil is the regular 1:1 peat/sand... thats about all

i was thinking that the problem is that it needs time to adapt to such strong lighting?
here are some pics:

WenIn_Sg_111.sized.jpg

WenIn_Sg_107.sized.jpg

thats my setup

WenIn_Sg_108.sized.jpg

thanks!

It might not be a problem.
When I first got my Ceph, in about two days all the pitchers dried up on the plant, do to the new conditions.
I would say as long as the single leaf does not dry up and you see new leaves starting in a few weeks it will pull through.

Hi WEZX:

I was wondering where did you get this ceph?. I mean the name of the shop

Thanks

Gus

hmm well mine survived, but ti was an incredibly slow grower so i tried putting them in the plastic bag like it said on nicks site and boom, it recovered, even tho it is in a windowsill in colorado in november

wezx, don't give up on it. Mine took a turn just like yours and every pitcher fell off!  
smile_h_32.gif
 Now it's growing again.

You just need to cut down on watering and give it a bit less light and it'll start growing again! Less water because you wouldn't want it to rot in our humid December weather (means no tray method but just overhead watering) and less light to cut back on the amount of heat. Seems that they come back stronger after such "sudden death".  
smile.gif

Anyway, remove the dried leaves and pitchers so that fungus won't have places to grow.

But the way, I don't use the tray method anymore for ceph. The time the pitchers all dried up was when I attempted to give it sunlight instead of just florescent lights. Well, I guess I overdid it and it just kind of "died". Now that it's growing again, I'm more careful.
smile_n_32.gif

you might try putting some more lfs in the soil mix, since mine grows in a mix of 50% lfs 40% perlite 7% peat moss 3% sand

Kirk's mix is closer to the one I use. I notice you have a pretty fine silica sand there, and from my experience, even though Cephs enjoy some drainage, pure peat works better than peat/sand with that fine of a sand. It really seems to compact the mix.

Cheers,

Joe

Forgot to add, adding a portion of milled sphagnum would help with that.
Some would also endorse using some Superthrive in this situation.

Cheers,

Joe

Thanks guys! for all your help! i really appreciate it!

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]wezx, don't give up on it. Mine took a turn just like yours and every pitcher fell off!    Now it's growing again.

You just need to cut down on watering and give it a bit less light and it'll start growing again! Less water because you wouldn't want it to rot in our humid December weather (means no tray method but just overhead watering) and less light to cut back on the amount of heat. Seems that they come back stronger after such "sudden death".  

Anyway, remove the dried leaves and pitchers so that fungus won't have places to grow.

But the way, I don't use the tray method anymore for ceph. The time the pitchers all dried up was when I attempted to give it sunlight instead of just florescent lights. Well, I guess I overdid it and it just kind of "died".  Now that it's growing again, I'm more careful.   "

I already have the heat and the rotting sorted out, there is a strong fan in my setup which eliminates all the heat. The water occasionally dries out so the plants aren't waterlogged (plus i won't know if them plants are getting enough water if i do the overhead watering
confused.gif
 )

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Kirk's mix is closer to the one I use. I notice you have a pretty fine silica sand there, and from my experience, even though Cephs enjoy some drainage, pure peat works better than peat/sand with that fine of a sand. It really seems to compact the mix.

thanks ill see what i can do
smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I was wondering where did you get this ceph?. I mean the name of the shop

i traded it with a friend who traded it with his friend who's a cp collector in Germany

thanks guys! I really appreciate your help and experiences!  
biggrin.gif

Never grow Cephs before, but i've read about them, and it seems ok. Just keep growing it normally, and it should pull through the shock of transplant/transport.

Back