What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Force dormacy

My S. x 'Dana's Delight', which I got in June and was just recently identified as such by some of the forum members, grew slowly all summer but recently has just gone crazy with eight fast growing new pitchers in the last couple of weeks.
Is it a good idea to force it into dormacy or just let it grow?
I had planned to put it in the fridg' next week.  
Here is a pic that I took about three weeks ago.

S_unknown_001.sized.jpg

This was taken just as the growth spurt started.
PC050009.sized.jpg

I'd just let it do its thing. Since you are growing outside it should make the transiton in its own time and be fine.

Thanks Pyro.  That sounds like good advice and is probably what I will do.  I am just curious as to why it is behaving that way.

My only other Sarr, a beautiful Dixie Lace, is behaving normally and will go in the fridge Monday.  There are three burmannis growing tightly up against it and I wonder if they have any chance of surviving.

I had a chance to visit the nursery of Kim Magnusen, who hybridized S. x ‘Dana’s Delight.’ He lives in Hawaii at an elevation of no more than a few hundred feet. I would estimate that the lowest temperature on the coldest night of the year there does not go below 55 degrees F. He leaves all of his plants, including Sarracenia, outdoors all of the time, and he doesn’t do anything special for dormancy. He says the plants find their own dormancy; some die back during winter, and others don’t. When I visited, his plants looked healthy, with pitchers of the largest Sarracenia about three feet tall. I got a Dana’s Delight from Kim and leave it outdoors in my yard (also in Hawaii) all the time. If I remember correctly, growth slowed during winter, but it didn’t die back, and picked up after that. About a month ago there was a lot of new growth, but nothing since then. I think it is now “finding its own dormancy.” So you might save the trouble of putting it in the refrigerator during the winter and instead leave it outdoors. In other words, I agree with Pyro, who said it much more succinctly.

That sounds like a reasonable explanation to me Tropics.  We get a couple of days of high 30's down here but never consectuive and it always gets back up in the 70's in the afternoon. Normal low in what we call winter is mid 60's...It will stay out all winter as you and Pyro suggest.
It sure is a colorful little plant.

Back