What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ultrasupanew cobra lily funtime experiment!

Ok as shown by my general discussion thread "How much can plants take?" I have my heart dead set on growing darlingtonia in Ohio. So I am currently coming up with an experiment to try out over the course of next year. I intend on building a series of bogs in my back yard. Both with have Cobra's. one will be mulched. One will not. Will check to see if they survive next years winter. However there will be a twist... I have recently discovered that Cobra's unlike other CP's don't have a specifice PH tolerance. They grow just as well in alkaline water as in acidic. Why is this important? I have a pond I dug in my back yard which has a waterfall and PH of 9.0. So I also plan on having some CObra's in there and when winter comes around I'll sink them to the deep part of the pond. (also in summer the water will be flowing around the waterfall thus keeping their roots cool). Who knows they all might just survive?

I reckon your cobras will survive the cold no problem, but I bet the one in acid soil will grow better
smile.gif

Go for it. I never bother doing anything to cool off the roots on mine, and they do fine in the 90 degree summers, so i know they are tolerant (at least in that respect).

Be careful to make sure they don't get carried off (as mine did) by a torrential rain storm.

Never hurts to experiment. Just curious though where you came up with them growing just as well in alkaline conditions?

Tony

If or when I get a spare I am going to try to grow them out of the rock area in my 'new' (have not recieved yet) Utric or Androvanda pond

Keep us informed on the temperature highs and lows, it'll be cool to see what results you get.

Back