What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Heliamphora photos

Hi
Here a few of my Heliamphora as they look at the moment.

heterodoxa.jpg

My largest H. heterodoxa

tatei%20var%20neblinae.jpg

Young H. tatei var. neblinae

H.%20tatei%20var.%20tatei.jpg

Young H. tatei var. tatei

minor%20Akopan%20Tepui.jpg

H. minor (Akopan Tepui)

minor%20Auyan%20Tepui.jpg

H. minor (Auyan Tepui)

cheers

bill

Awsome helis, Bill!

If I didn't know I'd kill them I'd be adding them to my wishlist
smile.gif

Peter

Very nice.

Looking at the one picture of the H. heterodoxa it looks like it is planted in one of those pots for pond gardens. Is that what you are using? What type of soil mix? Watering?
Heliamphora is the only plants which have given me trouble to grow. I've tried 2 H. heterodoxa X minor and failed both times. The first time it was shipped when the temps were in the 90's and the plant looked terrible when I got it. My second failure I think I potted the crown too deep and watered too much.
Any help would be great as I'm going to be hopefully be trying this species 1 more time.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (elgecko @ Jan. 03 2005,11:18)]Very nice.

Looking at the one picture of the H. heterodoxa it looks like it is planted in one of those pots for pond gardens. Is that what you are using? What type of soil mix? Watering?
Any help would be great as I'm going to be hopefully be trying this species 1 more time.
Thanks for comments.
smile.gif

elgecko I have grown a number in water lilly baskets which are nice and wide. I have made the mistake of potting a couple in smaller water lilly pots and found their fragile roots growing through the holes! So would only recommend the larger ones. I grow mine in a mix of LFS and Seramis clay pellets.
I water them from above and fill the pitchers with water as well. I stand them on upturned pots and they are kept in my highland Neps house. They get a contrast between warmer/hotter days and cool/cold night. Max as hight as it gets- sometimes 120f + in the summer and min 45/50f winter nights.
I have lost the odd plant to rot as well. This usually occurs when they are small offshoots recently potted up. When more established they do seem quite robust. I kept one of my nutans in the Sarracencia house in a water tray all last summer and it did fine. As you can see..
smile.gif

nutans1.jpg

Give them another try- never give up.
cheers

bill

Thanks for the info.
I would love to add a Heliamphora to my collection.

Why do you Brits grow such great pitcher plants, lol? I have a friend in Liverpool who has great success with ...all the genera, actually.

Cheers,

Joe

Back