What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My prized ceph

Here is my Ceph Hummer's Giant:

20050108-CP-Cephalotus.jpg

I took it out of the terrarium to bring it to Saturday's NECPS meeting and that's when I noticed the nice large pitcher, on the back side of the mound, shown here on the front right. That pitcher is about 2 inches from it's very base to the top of the lip. The pot is ceramic (unglazed), 6 inches in diameter by about 7 1/2 inches tall. Nice photo Nathan!!

Hi wildbill:

sorry to ask you this, but would it be possible to put a ruler next to the large pitcher and take another photo please?.
It looks beautiful.

Gus

and while your at it could you send me a leaf?
(JK):p

That ceph is awsome! Cant wait until mine start making teeth!
smile_n_32.gif

Beautiful Ceph Bill! I Really want a Hummers Giant badly. If you ever have cuttings for sale, Ill be waiting hehe

who would want to cut one of those off? They're awesome!

Hi Gus & all -

Thanks for the compliments.

Nathan, the NECPS webmaster took the photo. I will have to borrow a digital camera to shoot it again which may be a while. It never even occured to me at the meeting that I had my tape measure right there in my pocket! I was too pre-occupied Saturday with my slide presentation on Kew. Anyway, next time it gets photographed we'll do the ruler thing.

Here are the conditions -

I grow it in the 'Charles Brewer Mix' which is:
45% dried spagnum moss
45% medium perlite
8% peat/sand mixture
2% charcoal
(top dressing is chopped live LFS)

It's in a very humid terrarium (I have 2 inches of water in the bottom circulated by a pump with fish, a frog, & salamander too) lit by two 4-foot shoplights that are on bout 17 hours a day. The pot sits on a plastic grid suspended above the water. The soil line is about 6 inches below the light bulbs. I water it from above with rainwater, and feed it occasionally with "Betta-Bio-Gold" pellet fish food. The pellets are soo tiny & round that they also make good food for my other cephs & baby Neps.

Back