What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sarracenia nectar question

Hellz Here,
For research for a class, i was geared toward helping human kind in anyway, and i was wondering how i could do this with research in carnivorous plants.
What i really wanted to know  what kind of things are in the nectar of Sarracenia, if there are any variences between different kinds of plants in what their nectar contains, as well as If you think it could be used as a anasthetic, because ive read certain plants nectar, if tasted, slightly numbed your tongue.
Thanks in advanced,
Hellz

Gotta love that term: Sarcophagus liquor
smile_n_32.gif

I recommend you get hold of a copy of Donald Schnell's 'Carnivorous Plants of North America and Canada' 2nd edition.

Coniine is present in sarracenia nectar.

Hmmm...
well can any of you think of a how researching pitcher plants would benefit mankind?
I cant really think of anything else but use them as a means of insect control,
Thanks again,
Hellz

Why just the nectar? There once was a study of the rhizomes of s. purpurea as a possible cancer cure. A hormone from their rhizome that I have forgotten the name of. Just as well. The name was a mile long.

Back