What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cobra lilly dormancy

ok i just bought one in lowes, i should probably put it into dormancy or is it good till next year? and if i should put in dormancy what temps are too low?

If you've just bought it, I would skip dormancy.

Cobras can survive very very cold temperatures, but they need aclimatising first - which is why I recommend leaving it this year.

They also seem to go into shock as easily as opening up the dome; probably from neglect by the garden center.

Let it go to sleep on it's own. If it needs/wants dormancy, it will get it on it's own. Just like if you stay up for 40 hours at a time. You WILL go to sleep eventually. If you're keeping it inside, then the cold won't bother it.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (jimscott @ Jan. 11 2005,1:00)]They also seem to go into shock as easily as opening up the dome; probably from neglect by the garden center.
yeah i kidna seem to be facing that now hopefully it wil pull through, as far as watering goes i know the water is supposed to be cold but what kind? does it have to be distilled or can i use plain filtered drinking water? the filter system does a pretty good job

From what I have read, bottled drinking water has salts. It is highly NOT recommended. However, for aabout 50 cents, you can get a gallon of distilled water from the grocery store.

I haven't been at all successful with the Lowes cobra lily. by the time I make my purchase, they have been neglected too long. It seems as though totally opening it up and / or transplanting them is afr more thean they can handle. I would suggest that future purchases be done as close to their receipt of shipment as possible. Also, don't transplant it and open it slightly, during the day and close at night for several days. Gradually increase its exposure to the air, over time. Gradual is the key concept.

Both of my Lowe's cobra lilies (bought at different times) are growing like crazy and never went through any shock. Even after transplanting them. I guess I got lucky... or they just like my basement.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (endparenthesis @ Jan. 13 2005,8:28)]Both of my Lowe's cobra lilies (bought at different times) are growing like crazy and never went through any shock. Even after transplanting them. I guess I got lucky... or they just like my basement.
ditto to that. I've abused my cobra's in evey way shape and form and they come ack asking for more

what kind of temps can they endure and still get by ok? because my house has forced hot air and isnt very efficient so its always blowing, but we have one room where it can get fairly cold so what kind of temps are too low for them?

Don't worry about too low... your house will never get that cold. I'm not sure about what temperature dormancy starts at though... I'd be curious to know too.

ok in trying to order some lfs i dont seem to find alot of stuff under that name, i found some new zealand sphagnum would this do ok?

YES!!! New Zealand spaghnum is even BETTER!!!! It doesn't rot as easily.

ah ok great
smile.gif
cause i ordered it anyways, the stuff i previously had i deemed garbage and didnt want to use. thanks

Save the garbage stuff for plugging the drainage holes in the pots to hold the soil in them.

Back