What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

S. leucophylla 'tarnok' flowering!

Hi all.
My S. leucophylla 'tarnok' is currently sending up a flowering stalk (2 inches to date). I was wondering how i go about pollinating it, and what i do with the seeds once they pop out.

I need to know:
-Pollination
-Stratification
-Sowing
-Specific care for the early months (years?)

Thanks!
Dave

I seem to remmember being told that Tarnok is sterile...

grrr... Well, i'll see then. In the mean time, i'd appreciate it if someone would tell me what to do in the event that it is not sterile?

Tarnok has a mutant flower.  Wouldn't know where to "go" to pollinate because it's a double flower.  The place where the pollen usually drops and collects in a normal Sarr flower isn't there on Tarnok, and the stigmas are also mutated.
S.%20leucophylla%20'Tarnok'%20Flower%2003-23-04.jpg

Best bet would be to wait for another Sarr to flower if you want to try to self pollinate.

If you do get a proper flower from another plant in the future, this is the page which will tell you everything: CPS Guide

I would not bother with 'Tarnok'. like Gardenof Eden said, its sterile..

Crap. And i bought it because it was flowering size, as i wanted seed.
smile_h_32.gif

Well, i can still give it a try.
smile.gif

I've heard that you can cut the growing point (i think it's called the rhizome) in half, and it will have a root system ready, and it will grow. Is that true?

yes, that is true, but I don't really like doing it. I like the look of a bunch of growing points
smile.gif

Yes it is sterile. You can divide it into as many growing points as it has. A bunch of growing points does look better though as long as the plant is not crowded. If you burn your bog (FIRE!!!) you should probibly divide it after.

Tuna,
When you do self 'Tarnok', where are you going to pollinate it? With what pollen? This is not one of those " I'll give it a try anyway" types of things, this is a mutant flower. This past year, we made over thirty Sarracenia pollinations, take our word for it... there is no place to "try" on 'Tarnok'. We have closely examined the flower... it doesn't have the proper parts. After you see the flower, you may understand better. By the way, if you have the book "The Savage Garden", there is very detailed instruction and explanation for Sarr pollination and all the topics you wanted to know about along with a diagram of a normal Sarr flower.
smile.gif

There is a good chance that one of your smaller Sarrs will grow to be flowering size by next season- they grow fast.

My purpurea is quite large, check it out in the pics of your most prided plants section. It's about 8 inches accross.

Back