What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Get your magnifying glasses folks...

Laura,

I am really enjoying seeing all this through your eyes. Hope you don't mind if I live vicariously through you, lol.
I have done this for so long(1979-1980), and I am afraid I have lost my spark somewhat. Really sad compared to Bugweed 42 years and going strong.
Anyways keep up the good work.

Cheers,

Joe

Hey Joe!  I have to admit I am not new to germinating seed but I am totally new to germinating seed indoors utilizing artificial lighting. I have winter sown literally thousands of native herbaceous and woody species of seeds over the years. I am probably best classified as an environmentalist in that I control, manage, and eradicate invasive species of both flora and fauna over here however my focus is most assuredly on wetlands conservation and restoration. This dictates a need for local genotypes AND.... there is pretty much only one way to get those and that would be to do it yourself.  So I did.  Native plants are so darn easy it isn't even funny so don't get overly impressed.  100% of the seed I have dealt with to date needed to be sown out of doors to better insure its survival.  I am now thrilled to be dealing with CP seed that is not necessarily indigenous to my region or even to the continent of North America therefore I am actually in the "Twilight Zone" half the time with such incredibly different cultural requirements.  This is tons of fun for me yet on the other hand I am taking casualties personally.  My only regrets are that I didn't get into these little pretties sooner. Oh the possibilities are endless.  Please feel free to view through my eyes but also please feel free to jump in and correct me any time you so desire as you can see I am in over my head these days and most probably will continue to be over my head with CPs for many years to come. Bye for now, Laura

Bye for now, Laura

Something to get you excited Laura
smile.gif

Seed1.jpg

Seed2.jpg

These are one year old seedlings (except the empty looking cells which have just-germinated seeds in). The biggy is S.x 'Brook's Hybrid' x flava var. ornata. I've never seen a seedling grow so fast; it's about a year ahead of schedule going by size.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...
Very very very nice!
You must be a very proud "Poppa"!

Are you anywhere near London?  
How big are your cells?  How many seedlings did you place in each cell?

Oh yes, very proud. My favourite offspring are in the greenhouse having their first dormancy though.

The cells are 2 1/2" I think. There are about 25 seeds in each and they'll be thinned out in about a year.

I'm not near London I'm afraid; I'm about 200 miles away.

We're going to be in London visiting friends for a week or so in spring of next year and I was thinking you might be able to steer us to a nice garden somewhere. The UK seems to be one big garden after the next though.

Looks as if I do not need to worry about "thinning" anything out for a while. We have 2.5" cell trays over here also so those shouldn't be difficult for me to get my hands on when I have a need. Your babies really are beautiful.

Kew gardens have a carnivorous section, but that's all I know of near London. Most of the good places are in the south and south west unfortunately. Still, Kew is supposed to be good
smile.gif

Thank you Alvin.  You may have to remind me.

As of just this morning, two more seeds germinated. I suppose turning the heat back on helped.  They are just the cutest little things. I've got triplets folks!

Yes the first seedling has sent up its first pitcher!  I have the itsiest bitsiest teeniest tiniest little pitcher between the 2 cotyledons.  At first, I thought it was a speck of air born debris stuck in there but now I am sure it is actually the first pitcher.  Oh how I tried to get a photo but my skills with a camera are hit or miss as I use auto settings. It is a few days later and it is still too small to photograph.  The other two should follow in about 2-3 weeks with their first pitcher.  Hey, thanks for asking. I check on them a few times a day!

Now, Laura. I know you wanted to adopt, but what are you going to do when these tripletts become teen agers????? Are you prepared for that? Gee, their first prom, boyfriends, and, EEK!!!! Maybe an unwanted pregnancy! Do you know what you are getting into???

Oh dear, an assuming person.  My plants are all boys... they told me so.  They're not going to go to proms because we arrange marriages in this family so there will be no need for that dating nonsense and therefore no unexpected surprises. I'm far too young to be a grandmother right now anyway. The parents of the brides can pay for the weddings and we'll pay for the band and the bar bill. That is traditionally how it works now isn't it?  As far as college, I'll help them apply for student loans that they can repay at their leisure.  Aren't boys wonderful!

Hmmm... I just checked the DNA as well as the leaf prints on their birth certificates.  Shock of all shocks.  Looks as if you have the parent plants so that must mean... oh no... could we be related?  On second thought, can the arranged marriages and student loans.  Ma triplets done got them a Sugar Daddy to foot their bills!

Oh, man!! Am I in trouble!!!!!!

I'm adopting a division off of bugweeds parent plants hopefully in spring, I'm so proud

If Hurricane Creek flowers, do you want the resulting seed? You will have to share it with Tre. That ok with you, Kirk? Seed is for you and the CCPS.

Why bugweed, it done looks as if reinforcements are on the way to help financially support my triplets if you're sharing a division of a plant with Kirkscoastalcarnivores.  Please do send him a parent plant.

Kirk, I'll get you an address so you can send triplet support. Spread the wealth! Send it all my way as I've got triplets that have needs.

what I'm planning is maybe distribute it at the next meeting and have a grow contest

Back