What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Get your magnifying glasses folks...

After I found some of my other CP seed germinating, I began using a magnifying glass to check for others. I have to admit I would not have seen it without the magnifying glass but sure enough, a little seed germinated.  This seed was just recently sent to me.  It is Hurricane Creek and allegedly 70% of it will develop true to form while the other 30% will revert. I have at least 20 seeds and my very first one germinated sometime during the day. I have to share an enlarged photo as I am extremely excited so here goes-
eb270625.jpg

Congratulations, it's a..... a.... Sarracenia!
smile.gif

WOW! Looks just like Mom!

Why thank you (reaching over shoulder to pat self on the back)!

Yes, the family resemblance is striking now isn't it. Sort of wishing I had had a digital camera back when I dressed up as the Green Giant vegetables "Little Sprout" about 10 years ago for a Halloween party to prove it!

Yes, I just found out and have been backing off the water. Thank you so much for mentioning it.  If it wasn't for you all... my seedlings probably would have rotted.

Laura, I should send you a card congratulating you on your little bundle of carnivory. The resemblance is uncanny. I take it you are carnivorous, too? I hope you've moved beyond sticky glands!!!LOL!

bundles of carnivory! moved beyond sticky glands!

ROTFLMAO!

ROFLMAO. Oh, no! I am sorry to have put you in such a predicament as to cause you to come down with ROFLMAO. I apologize for that. I do not know what it is, but I am sure there is a cure for it. If so, take a pill, and call me in the morning!

The question I have is whether she curls her tentacles around her prey? In honor of Bugweed, you MUST read to your seedlings, preferably from Savage Garden or CP's of Canada and the US.

JIM!!! No explicit language!! MY HEART!!!!!!

Of course I wrap my tentacles around my prey, doesn't every new Momma?

Only nice bedtime stories for my babies and I'm starting them right out on Nancy McArthur's "The Plant That Ate Dirty Socks".

[b said:
Quote[/b] (LauraZ5 @ Jan. 19 2005,9:50)]Of course I wrap my tentacles around my prey, doesn't every new Momma?

Only nice bedtime stories for my babies and I'm starting them right out on Nancy McArthur's "The Plant That Ate Dirty Socks".
Hmmmmm.... slightly different motives, though. You can also pacify them with a little TV- Little Shop Of Horrors".

I spotted the very first seed to germinate a week ago. I haven't noticed any other seeds germinating.  I backed off on the water based on everyone's comments. Is it common for there to exist spans of a week or weeks between a first seed germinating and others following suit?

My experience is that seeds tend to cluster their germination over a several days, but my experience is also limited. I'm sure that others have experienced gaps in time.

I just had 40+ S. leucophylla sprout. The variability among my germination times is over a span of about 2 weeks.

I just found that my big boy Melvin the cat has been sprawling out by the heat of the germination area and evidently he turned off the heating pad that this particular seed was on.  I asked my husband how long it had been off and he stated it had been off for well over a week and that he thought I had turned it off intentionally.  Ok, it is back on and the soil temps are back up over 80F so let's see if that didn't have something to do with it.  Rats, I can't believe that happened. I intentionally placed that control on the outside so that I could "monitor" it. Appears I was so obsessed with checking the seeds that I missed the obvious... the little red light was off.  

Say sunpitcher, I just found the setting in my control panel to turn on avatars and such and I was able to see your grow list.  You have done a spectacular job.  You should be very proud of yourself for having amassed such a diverse grow list.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Is it common for there to exist spans of a week or weeks between a first seed germinating and others following suit?

Yes it is, at least for me. I start them under growlights in winter where most of them sprout of a couple of months. The rest only germinate once the spring sun gets on them.

Thank you for commenting.  I really appreciate it. I'll set the trays outside this coming June and see what comes of any seed that hadn't germinated.

Back