What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dividing heliamphora

Ok everyone, this is my 2nd attempt at dividing one of my Heliamphora plants. My 1st attempt was last year, and it proved to be a success. This year I went for Gold and divided the sucker into 11 different plants.
smile_m_32.gif

First, you can see the fragile root system. Suprisingly very few if any visable roots broke off during this process.
helidivision1.jpg

I let them soak for 15 min in a 1/2 teaspoon / gallon mixture of Superthrive. (It didn't hurt things last year, so might as well use the stuff up I guess)
helidivision2.jpg

Here are some of them being assigned to their pots.
helidivision3.jpg

Finally, they are placed in my terrarium.
helidivision4.jpg

I used a mixture of 1/2 LFS, 1/3 perlite, and the rest being pumice.

It's been a week since these photo's were taken, and they are all doing well!! So, don't be afraid if you have a heterodoxa x minor and have a desire to divide it.

Homer

What conditions do you gorw yours in (Humidtiy, Temp. light?). I have wanted a Heli. for a while but I am scared to spend the money and end up killing it.

Congratulationsfor the successful division!

Nice, My last division did not work so well. I am glad yours did

That's a nice looking H. heterodoxa x minor.
It looks as if not all of the cuttings have a root system, is that correct?
Good luck with all those cuttings.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]It looks as if not all of the cuttings have a root system, is that correct?

Very true. Part of the reason why I divided the plant was to give the parent plant more room. It was getting very crowded. I made sure the cuttings that had few if no roots had a piece of live sphagnum moss at its base to anchor it. My hope is that the antibacterial capability, etc of the moss will give the cutting a nice environment to grow in. So far, so good
smilie4.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]What conditions do you gorw yours in (Humidtiy, Temp. light?).

They are in a 50 gallon fish tank converted to a terrarium with a misting system. Two 40w fluorescent bulbs give them light(with a mylar backing to help). Humidity is kept real high, but not stagnant via the misting system. Temps get to the low 70s for a high and down to lower 60s at night this time of year. They seem very tolerant of temp fluctuations. You can see how I set it up Here

Homer

Very interesting, and nice N. spathulata in the picture from the link, too!

Cheers,

Joe

Anyone else plan on doing Heliamphora cuttings in the near future, since its getting close to spring (for some of us anyway)?

Homer

I seperated my H. minor 2 weeks ago and three of the five have already put up pitchers and one is atleast a half inch tall.

Anyone else plan on doing Heliamphora cuttings in the near future, since its getting close to spring (for some of us anyway)?

Homer

I divided some H. nutans "Giant," H. minor, H. tatei var. tatei, H. pulchella, H. sarracenioides, and H. folliculata in the last six weeks and two last Fall, all successfully (whew) . . .

Back