What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pitcher plant question?

I have four questions about pitcher plants.

1.What pitcher plant produces large clumps of pitchers?
2.What pitcher plant produces the tallest pitchers?
3.What pitcher plant catches the most insects?
4.What pitcher plant grows the fastest?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

For me, S. leucophylla is both my tallest and the greatest bug catcher. My S. flavas & S. purpureas have formed the largest clumps.

S. alata is the best bug catcher. leucophylla is my tallest. purpurea ssp. venosa var. burkeii formed the largest clumps. Fastest growing has to be my 'red leuco' or any hybrid or pure leucophylla.

Purpurea has always been my monster bug remover. My leucphylla is my fastest grower. My leucophylla definitely has the record for tallest, and for clumping, i'd have to go with purpurea.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]1.What pitcher plant produces large clumps of pitchers?
S. purpurea, first generation hybrids with this species, and various other plants such as S.x 'Dixie Lace'

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]2.What pitcher plant produces the tallest pitchers?
The biggest I've seen is a hybrid of S.x alata x flava 'Maxima'. S.x 'Leah Wilkinson' can grow bigger. S.x moorei 'Brook's Hybrid' reliably grows huge pitchers every year.
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]3.What pitcher plant catches the most insects?
For me, S. leucophylla.
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]4.What pitcher plant grows the fastest?
In my collection it's S.x catesbaei x oreophila, but it's hard to quantify.

Back