Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Dormancy help

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, Jorge and everyone else!

I didn't know it got that cool in Puerto Rico.

I'm going to repot it soon and put it outside with the others as soon as it get up over freezing and stay that way for a while.

Thanks again
    Dan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We're not the only south Florida growers to experience the problem. It seems to especially go after S. flava during the late summer, when we have heavy rains. I think Bugweed has spurred some new thinking about how to approach the probem holistically. I believe there are some indigenous fungus and or bacteria that live in our subtropical climate that don't live in north Florida-perhaps because they are subjected to freezing temps. I don't want to give the impression that we get wiped out, it's just that every now and then some plants may succumb to it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello guys!
    Dan: This cool temperatures are normal in the mountains of Puerto Rico, where is a sub-tropical region. But here in the coast, where is tropical, we did not know either that these temperatures can happen. It has ben the coldes winter in PR Known history. Good luck with your re-potting process.

Trent: Do not worry, I noticed that when you were talkning abouth this problem was not a rule, but the exception, but I was asking becuase since we are having a unusual cool winter, I guess that his summer will be strange also, so I want to be prepared in order to protect my plants against new, unknown situations.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Bugweed @ Feb. 04 2005,5:25)]Any L.A. or San Diego growers have a similar story??
    The S. Calif growers might chime in, but Leo Song grew tons of Sarracenia in the lath house at Cal State Fullerton, as did Bob Hanrahan a few miles away, with no problem in getting the plants to go dormant. I grew up in Fullerton and can remember many frosty mornings, with a rare snowfall every decade or so.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123