What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is it really a cobra lilly?

I just got done reading on another board about plants being labeled Cobra Lilly when they are in fact Sarracenia hybrids. I got a plant that is labeled Darlingtonia californica, Cobra Lilly at Home Depot yesterday. Gubler is also on the label. After seeing the picture on the other board of a Sarracenia hybrid that was sold as a "Cobra Lilly," I can see they look very similar. It looked as if her plant had the "hoods" also. How do I know for sure which I have? I want to be able to care for it correctly. Does Gubler have a reputation for mislabeling? The plant this other person got is not by Gubler. (By the way, I also got a VFT - they just got a new shipment in).

Randi

CobraThumb-03.jpg

This is a real cobra lily. Darlingtonia californica is the real latin name .
Where in S. Calif. are you at? I NEVER see those plants in Home Depot in San Diego. I did find a small unidentifiable nep and couple sundews from Gubler's at Lowes though.

Well, it must be a new thing, because I've never seen them at Home Depot before either. I'm in the high desert of S. California, near Victorville. Normally, my Home Depot and Lowe's don't have anything but the most common plants, so I was very surprised to see the CPs. And yes. .. they also had the Neps, but all they said was Nepenthes. Same with the Droseras. Thanks for posting the picture - and that is exactly what my plant looks like, so I'm assuming it is indeed a cobra lilly. You never know - your local HD may be getting them in soon, because I was there a week ago and they only had a few neps and droseras and sarracenia purpureas. These were a brand new shipment. I'm going to keep a close eye on HD from now on. Might get lucky with something else - you never know!

Randi

Saecho, It was me that reported the intentional or ignorant mis-labeling of Sarracenias as "cobra lillies". The outfit doing it is called the Nurserymen's Exchange. I believe they take in tons of plants from different sources, relabel them, and sell them to distributors like Summer Winds, HD, and in my area at least, Safeway and Albertson's.

I haven't had the opportunity to see any more Sarrs from the Exchange people, so I don't know whether or not they have fixed their error yet. If and when I do see them again, I will call them on it and try once again to remedy the problem.

Gubler's is in your neck of the woods, and while I've had a Customer Service issue with them on an occasion, I've never known them to sell anything but tip-top Orchids and CPs. My local HDs carry both Gubler orchids and CPs pretty much year round.

Sam

There has been something called "cobra nest" that looks more like a purpurea. Gimme some time and I'll come up with the topic about it.

Here's the link to a previous topic about it, with pictures:

Cobra nest topic

I went to home depot today, and, yes!!! I finally got a REAL cobra lily!!! Darlingtonia californica!! A nice specimen too. It came from Gublers, and it's the first thing from them thats actually labeled correctly.
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I haven't had the opportunity to see any more Sarrs from the Exchange people, so I don't know whether or not they have fixed their error yet.
They usually wait until late summer
confused.gif
before they start showing up around here. I don't see why they put them out right before dormancy season starts
confused.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]If and when I do see them again, I will call them on it and try once again to remedy the problem.
If I see Sarrs labeled "cobra lily" I think I will send them a pic of a real cobra lily and tell them that is what it really is.
I doubt they will correct the problem though,

Back