Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: In search of a particular sarracenia

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As imduff stated ABG occasionally releases some material, 'Tarnok' is another of their plants.

As for luteola being weak, I have not noticed this to be the case. Unlike most antho-free forms this guy seems to grow quite well, just very very slow.
    'My love was science- specifically biology and, more specifically, when placed in a common jar, which of two organisms would devour the other.'

See You Space Cowboy

actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat
    Hagerstown, Maryland

--
    actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My luteola is quite robust! Slow growing but very well formed leaves.
    45 yrs. growin\'
    Founder NASC

The original luteola plant material that ABG released in their sale came from selfing the flower from a single luteola plant obtained from Bob Hanrahan. The seed was germinated and grown for about 3 years before offering it for sale. In contrast to material propagated through tissue culture, these luteola plants were all genetically different. It is quite likely that some plants were more vigorous than others. However, selfing a single plant is not the best way to produce strong, vigorous plants. If the goal is to produce vigorous, disease-resistant plants, outcrossing is the best bet.
    imduff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's a fact! I wonder if Jim Miller would go out and find some more. Do you know if Sheridan has any of the Wilma, Florida luteola around Meadowview? They were more vigorous I have been told.
    45 yrs. growin\'
    Founder NASC

Bugweed,
    I know that Phil grows the luteola plant you mention but, I don't know if he is selling any. You'd have to contact him. The plant probably isn't as vigorous the wild-type but, it produces nice large pitchers. It's a nice looking purp.
    imduff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As paul harvey says, "Now, for the rest of the story" The story on luteola as I heard it is that Jim Miller and Bob Hanranhan were out exploring bogs in the Apalachicola National Forest. They spotted some purps on the roadside and stopped to look them over. Jim Miller spotted a particuraly green one among the group and pointed it out to Bob who dismissed it as a 'pale' purp due to the over growth. Jim inspected it closer and found it to be anthro free so they dug it. Jim gave the plant to Bob who was actively growing at the time. If you will check the write up that was submitted to the ICPS, both Jim and Bob were credited with finding the plant. It was Bob that gave the initial plant to ABG but Jim that 'found' it. This story came directly from Jim Miller himself as he and I bog together. He took me to the very spot the plant was found this past July, it's a lovely mown lawn in front of a trailer now.
    I remain a man obsessed with a genus
    Brooks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It must be a very beautiful view. Too bad Sarracenias cluttered up the landscape for as long as they did.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whew!! Good thing they got rid of'em! (mumble, grumble, moan)
    45 yrs. growin\'
    Founder NASC

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast