Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: In search of a particular sarracenia

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I contacted Phil Sheridan about this plant and I believe he said he didnít have it and that it wasn't allowed to be sold anymore. He could cross some plants he does have which are similar to produce seed for a price. I received many replies concerning my search without much luck until recently. A person contacted me and said they have one and would be willing to send me a leaf in the spring so I could try the Barry Rice method of leaf pulling propagation. It would be great if this works out.
    I would like to share the ABG cover letter that came with the plant I purchased in 1998, but I see I need a url to attach it here. I'm not familiar with this type file attaching. I could send it through email if anyone is interested.
    One last thing. The plant was a really cool looking Sarracenia. Not only was the color striking, but also the surface had velvet like touch and look.
    Iíd like to thank everyone here for his or her input on this subject. Itís nice to be able to discuss things like this with other people that understand CPs. Thanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This plant was featured on the back cover of the ICPS journal a few years back, along with the associated article on its discovery etc. as mentioned above. I was under the impression that seed were/ had been offered through ICPS in the past, and/or at least the plant was still being grown and propagated. I had always hoped to obtain one of these or seed thereof one day, but it sounds like the chances of that may be slim. Hmm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To follow up on Duff's comments. I have seen the original plant and it is a huge beast. I have also seen the offspring and they are all nice growining and many flowered this past year. I believe that they crossed these out rather than selfing each bloom so that should help some in keeping the genetics varied. I have no knowledge of whether they will be offering more plants in the future however.
    'My love was science- specifically biology and, more specifically, when placed in a common jar, which of two organisms would devour the other.'

See You Space Cowboy

actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat
    Hagerstown, Maryland

--

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pyro,
    Don't they have a tc lab at ABG? Have they tried to mericlone it?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Trent,

They do have a TC lab at ABG. If they were going to TC it odds are they would just use seed from it, though I guess they could do a mericlone on it too. I do not know if they actually have though, especially considering the huge orchid seed TC project they are currently undertaking (250+ terrestrial species! ) Does not leave them a ton of spare room or time. Maybe in the future though.
    'My love was science- specifically biology and, more specifically, when placed in a common jar, which of two organisms would devour the other.'

See You Space Cowboy

Hagerstown, Maryland

--

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123