What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

In search of a particular sarracenia

Hello,
Does anyone know where I can purchase Sarracenia purpurea ssp. venosa var. burkii forma luteola? I had bought it from the Atlanta Botanical Gardens in 1998 but lost it during a move. There is a photo of it in Donald E. Schnell's Carnivorous Plants of the United States and Canada on page 139. Thanks.
David H.

well, uh, thats a pretty rare sarr! I think that meadowview might have one
pitcherplant.org (am I allowed to link? If not, a mod can delete this)

How can you buy stuff from a Botanical Garden? I did not see or know of ABG having an extras rack

i would assume just like gardeners such as ourselves they have extra plants just taking up space now and then.

How do I get these plants though?

You have to know contacts.
smile_m_32.gif
Get to know a big grower. Be nice to the person and they'll share the wealth.

Meadowview doesn't list it in their online catalog but they do have the heterophyla S. purp. purp.  You could ask and see if they have some.  It's a pricey place, but it's a conservation organization, not a retailer.

For a couple of years in the late 90's ABG listed a couple plant releases in the CPN. First they sold the 'Akai Ryu,' then the green purp about a year later. As I recall, the purp sale was marginally successful and that was the last time they've had such an offer. It doesn't help you in your quest for another plant but, as you may have noticed, the purp is not very vigorous and somewhat weak.
Best of luck, imduff

As imduff stated ABG occasionally releases some material, 'Tarnok' is another of their plants.

As for luteola being weak, I have not noticed this to be the case. Unlike most antho-free forms this guy seems to grow quite well, just very very slow.

My luteola is quite robust! Slow growing but very well formed leaves.

The original luteola plant material that ABG released in their sale came from selfing the flower from a single luteola plant obtained from Bob Hanrahan. The seed was germinated and grown for about 3 years before offering it for sale. In contrast to material propagated through tissue culture, these luteola plants were all genetically different. It is quite likely that some plants were more vigorous than others. However, selfing a single plant is not the best way to produce strong, vigorous plants. If the goal is to produce vigorous, disease-resistant plants, outcrossing is the best bet.
imduff

That's a fact! I wonder if Jim Miller would go out and find some more. Do you know if Sheridan has any of the Wilma, Florida luteola around Meadowview? They were more vigorous I have been told.

Bugweed,
I know that Phil grows the luteola plant you mention but, I don't know if he is selling any. You'd have to contact him. The plant probably isn't as vigorous the wild-type but, it produces nice large pitchers. It's a nice looking purp.
imduff

As paul harvey says, "Now, for the rest of the story" The story on luteola as I heard it is that Jim Miller and Bob Hanranhan were out exploring bogs in the Apalachicola National Forest. They spotted some purps on the roadside and stopped to look them over. Jim Miller spotted a particuraly green one among the group and pointed it out to Bob who dismissed it as a 'pale' purp due to the over growth. Jim inspected it closer and found it to be anthro free so they dug it. Jim gave the plant to Bob who was actively growing at the time. If you will check the write up that was submitted to the ICPS, both Jim and Bob were credited with finding the plant. It was Bob that gave the initial plant to ABG but Jim that 'found' it. This story came directly from Jim Miller himself as he and I bog together. He took me to the very spot the plant was found this past July, it's a lovely mown lawn in front of a trailer now.

It must be a very beautiful view. Too bad Sarracenias cluttered up the landscape for as long as they did.

Whew!! Good thing they got rid of'em! (mumble, grumble, moan)

I contacted Phil Sheridan about this plant and I believe he said he didn’t have it and that it wasn't allowed to be sold anymore. He could cross some plants he does have which are similar to produce seed for a price. I received many replies concerning my search without much luck until recently. A person contacted me and said they have one and would be willing to send me a leaf in the spring so I could try the Barry Rice method of leaf pulling propagation. It would be great if this works out.
I would like to share the ABG cover letter that came with the plant I purchased in 1998, but I see I need a url to attach it here. I'm not familiar with this type file attaching. I could send it through email if anyone is interested.
One last thing. The plant was a really cool looking Sarracenia. Not only was the color striking, but also the surface had velvet like touch and look.
I’d like to thank everyone here for his or her input on this subject. It’s nice to be able to discuss things like this with other people that understand CPs. Thanks.

This plant was featured on the back cover of the ICPS journal a few years back, along with the associated article on its discovery etc. as mentioned above. I was under the impression that seed were/ had been offered through ICPS in the past, and/or at least the plant was still being grown and propagated. I had always hoped to obtain one of these or seed thereof one day, but it sounds like the chances of that may be slim. Hmm.

To follow up on Duff's comments. I have seen the original plant and it is a huge beast. I have also seen the offspring and they are all nice growining and many flowered this past year. I believe that they crossed these out rather than selfing each bloom so that should help some in keeping the genetics varied. I have no knowledge of whether they will be offering more plants in the future however.

Pyro,
Don't they have a tc lab at ABG? Have they tried to mericlone it?

Back