What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stages of sarracenia development info request

I have a few dozen Sarracenia seedlings. I stratified them for 6 weeks, and allowed them to germinate in mid-january. They are currently anout a centimeter, tiny seedlings with a stem and two small leaves, nothing resembling a pitcher.

Does anybody have (or know of a link to) a photoessay that shows the development over time, from seed to adult plant?

If not a photojournal, how about a timeline of what i can expect developmentally?

The first two leaves you see are the "seed leaves" or cotyledons. As with most plants, these do not resemble the true leaves. In the center, where these two leaves meet, the new leaves will start to form one at a time. You will recognize these as Sarracenia pitchers, even though they will be very small. As each leaf matures a new one will grow from the base, usually each new leaf will grow a little larger than the last, but sometimes a bunch will grow similar size, and then suddenly a leaf will come out and grow much bigger followed by similar larger leaves. It will take a while for them to produce leaves of final shape and coloration, and may be 5 years give or take until they are flowering size. Check out the ICPS website for photos. I have some 14 month old leucophylla plants with pitchers only 1-2" tall and getting leuco coloration. I also have some 14 month old hybrids with pitchers 3 or 4 inches tall and nicely colored, with one plant having several 8-9" tall pichers and colored similar to a red leuco or "Dana's Delight" (which is not in its parentage.

Here you go!

These started to germinate around New Year, so they are a month and 23 days old! Some are starting to grow their first pitchers.

Time1.jpg

These germinated at the beginning of December - their first pitchers are fully formed and they are starting to grow the second. Notice the strange seedling at the bottom; it has three cotylons. I've come across this before and the seedlings develop normally.

Time2.jpg

These are all 13 months old (apart from the empty looking cells):

Seed1.jpg

The largest one is an exception - it is 13 months old like the others, but is the size I would expect a two year old plant to be.

Time3.jpg

that is impressive for a 13-month-old! i am hoping to get to the greenhouse tomorrow to snap some pics of some that sprouted in April '03, and April '04.

My six month olds are about a third the size of your big 13 month old

Another thing about seedlings are that they'll suddenly grow a massive pitcher compared with previous ones. Note the one on the far right compared with other growth nearby.

My seedlings are on heated pads, grown year round for two years, and are generally 12" to 14" the first year. This does not always apply, as each species/hybrid is different. However, with some plants, my alata for example, respond very well with bottom heat, and it, along with their first shot of superthrive, seems to stimulate their growth, and aids in faster maturity rates. They can flower at three years, but more commonly, 4 years. Beats the natural method hands down, and the waiting for maturity of 5 to 7 years.

A little off topic but is 6 weeks considered a good period for stratification? I'm using the plastic bag-in-fridge-technique for my first sarr. seedling attempt and wondered when exactly I should sow them.

Thanks, Chris

I usually only do it for a month, maybe with these new T.C. seeds im getting Ill try 6 weeks

Back