What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sarracenia seedlings

Hello, my sarr seeds have finished stratifying in the fridge and I sowed one type and I was wondering what sarracenia seedlings looked like. Anyone have any pictures they could post? Also, I had originally set up the pot that I used for the sarr seeds, for darlingtonia seeds that I forgot that I used. So now I have sarracenia seeds in Long Fibered Sphagnum with a half inch of peat moss on top. Think they'll germinate?? Oh and how long does it take?

Laura posted pictures of her newly germinated Sarracenia seedlings. Gimme time and I'll find it for ya. From my experience, they often germinate with the seed coat still attached.

when they first germinate, you'll just see two cotyledons. they're kind of strap shaped, maybe about 1/2 cm long. when the first leaves start growing, you'll know right away. they look just like tiny miniature pitchers. regardless of variety, they will all look the same for the first year or two. they kind of look like minor x psittacina pitchers at first. it'll be awhile before they start showing their true shape. i have some seedlings that sprouted in spring of 2003 that just now are starting to show their true characteristics. i hope to get some pics tomorrow perhaps, if i make it over to the greenhouse. i'm pretty excited, because they're the first crosses i ever did. kind of like seeing your kid take his first steps. the seeds that sprouted last spring are also starting to differentiate, but not to the degree of the '03 batch. one thing that really seems to work is fertilizing them. i bought one of those spray bottles from wal-mart (about 1 liter capacity), they're like $1, fill it up with DI water and include about 1/3 teaspoon of Miracid (available pretty much anywhere). then, just mist the seedlings every other week. you will want to wait a month or two after they germinate. anyway, the '03 batch, i didn't fertilize the first year. the '04 batch I did, and the '04 batch is much further along at 1 year old than the '03 batch was. also, if you can, you will want to grow them year round for at least the first two years. this also speeds up their growth. the '03 batch spent their first winter outside in VA Beach. despite several dips below freezing (including a few nights down to about 18F) they survived, although they didn't really grow at all. the '04 batch spent their first winter in a greenhouse and that really sped them up. they didn't stop growing at all.

good luck - i hope they all grow well for you.

Cool, I hope mine germinate soon. So I can watch them grow. I'd happily keep them out of dormancy for 2 years, then I don't have to worry about them not making it. By the way, I have them in my 65-70 degrees terrarium. Will they germinate in that kind of temperature?

Back