What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A sad loss indeed......

Here's a couple of plants I had for many years.  I had to go out of town for 3 weeks in late summer about a month after these photos were taken.  When I got back I found these plants as well as most of the rest of my collection was attacked by some kind of animal, my guess was racoons.  They tipped the pot over and tore the plants from the growing medium.  I'm not sure what they were after.  90% of my collection was lost.  I lost about 15 pitcher plants 5 VFT and about 10 sundews.  Anyone else ever have animals attack their plants outside?

rubra.jpg

hybrid1.jpg

hybrid2.jpg

My VFTs get ravaged every time I put them outside. I could do it just overnight and there'd be a good chance I'd come back to damage. Something eats the traps off.

Thats sad. I once saw an aphid next to my vft. but thats as close as I got to wild animal damage.

My cats are OBSESSED with drinking out of my trays and knocking the pots over... even when there is CLEAN water right next to them. I lost my okee giant seedling from shock because they knocked the pot over and the plantlet came out of its pot for a few hours. Let's just say I was ticked...... to an extreme. It took everything in me not to cuss.

"Outdoors" is a dangerous place, depending on where you live. At my place, the problems are dogs, ducks, geese, chickens, children, horses. In other areas it is squirrels, or possums, deer, bear, fire ants, birds, urban vandals, etc. The list goes on. Pick your favorite.

I don't think there is a favorite unless you mean favorite most hated! LOL.

By the way, The hybrid I grew from seed that I collected from one of my plants in around 1993 or 94. This picture was taken in 2002. I'm going off of memory, but I believe I collected the seed from this plant.

purp.jpg

I had about 15 pitcher plants and hybrids sitting on a table on my deck, and many of them were in bloom at the same time, in close proximity to each other. If I had to guess I would say this was the the other parent, but who really knows.

pitcher.jpg

What do you guys think could these be the parents.

thats very nice, and a very sad loss, I would be happy to replenish your stock at the spring CCPS meeting, P.S. if anyone is interested someone sent me an S. Rubra spp. Wheryi today and it had an extra smaller plant, if you want it I would be very willing to trade

ps my solution to cats and dogs ruining pots and plants, I built a shelf only about 1 foot and a half away from my ceiling with lights in it It isnt very good for the large, 3 foot tall sarracenia but Its perfect for the seedlings

I have had racoons and possums knock over ever pot I had outside (3x in one month). The end result was the loss of a some pitcher plants, a bunch of pings, and a few pygmy sundews. The biggest blow was I never found my P. ionantha, and it had finally started to grow after it had almost totally died back. So I know your pain all to well. Even Peter D has problems with racoons.

That would be great Kirk, I'm looking to buy a Flava, Leuco. and a Rubra of some kind and possibly a Minor. If you will have any mature plants for sale at the show, I will be happy to buy them from you. By the way, when and where is the show?

Thanks,

Jason

I get the 'coons ripping up my plants every year. The problem is sarracenia have two things they love - water trays and pitchers filled with "bug paste". I get up a few mornings a year and see plants laying on the ground and the pots a few feet away. As long as you catch them the next day you can pot them back up and they'll generally be ok. I find they shred the pitchers to eat the insect "goo" though. Not much you can do about it if you grow your plants outside. I try and put my better plants in the middle of the benches with plain plants along the edges. That way hopefully they tear up a Judith Hindle or something easily replaceable.

I never had a problem with rodents and my CP. But last summer, the problem began. I would find my S. Rubra and VFT dug up and holes dug within my bog garden. Also I found something else that was interesting and devasting. Some of the pitchers on my S. Purpurea ssp Purpurea were ripped open!!!
smile_k_ani_32.gif

Too simple! Haven't you ever built a simple frame? If you can, then stretch bird netting over it, and animal pestilence will slow to non-existant. That's how I do it, and no animal problems since I did, whether mammal or bird.

I imagine Bugweed has hit the nail on the head. I would love to live in a place where I could have these problems(meaning able to sit pots outside and actually see them flourish), lol.

Back